Any Suggestions for a 3 or 4 day liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with FredT. I have personnally been on 6 trips with the Gulfstream Eagle and will be going again in March, 2004.

They really know some excellent dive sites, the crew is very good, they are safety concious, food is good, cabins are comfortable are a bit small but are all that is needed for a liveaboard. There is a good amount of space for storage, there are two heads and two separate inside showers, an outside fresh shower, a large sun-deck, plenty of gear room and area for tank set up. If you are into photography then Capt. Rob can be of great assistance.

Personnally you will get your money's worth with them and make some terrific friends too.

Our LDS does have regular charter groups with them and if we do not have a full boat there are walk on spots available. We just came back week before last from a 5 day trip. It was fantastic. I took some exceptional photos, I will attach one for you.

Have fun whoever you choose.

http://www.gulf-diving.com/

Weekend trips are 2 night. 3 night trips available weekdays. Austere living and lots of good diving. Spring & fall trips Iffy due to seas but summer trips fairly reliable.

seaangel once bubbled...
I agree with FredT. I have personnally been on 6 trips with the Gulfstream Eagle and will be going again in March, 2004.

It looks like a big boat that can get crowded easily. Does it?

Thanks
Peter

BoomerTC once bubbled...

It looks like a big boat that can get crowded easily. Does it?

Thanks
Peter

At 100' long with 2 1/2 full decks for folks to hang on (engine room is off limits, as is crew quarters) and a 16 to 22 person passenger load there is always a place to get off by yourself if you want to.

The second trip I ran we had a pair of honeymooners on board. They were never around during SI "outgassing" opportunities. Their enthusiasm for private "outgassing" got to be the standard joke of the trip.:wink:

My normal trips were considered maxed out at 18 divers unless the group voted to allow specific extras, and we planned for 5 gate openings (possible dives) the first day, followed by 7 per day until the last travel day. Mostly we were under the boat, not on it. :)

FT

I don't ever feel crowded on the Gulfstream Eagle. Yes, it can take on alot of divers, but the advantage to it's size is there is room for that many people and not feel as if you are crammed together.

If I ever feel there are too many people in the salon area and I want more space for me I go outside to the sundeck.

From some of the reports that I have read about Blackbeard's those boats sound as if there is less space available.

As for the cabins, my personal favorite is #4 on the Eagle, it has two sets of bunk beds, I would say though that one of the top bunks is not to be used for more than storage unless you are very thin. Probably a child could sleep comfortable there. But, in this cabin three adults have lots of room, there is storage under both bottom bunks, a small closet to hang things and as I said the smaller top bunk makes great storage too.

I have been on trips with 15, 18 and 24 people onboard. I really, have not felt crowded. The dives are all relaxed and being a liveaboard there is not the cattleboat feel to the diving.

Not sure what you are looking at that makes you question that the large boat would correlate to being crowded. Just in my minds thought from doing a liveaboard I could imagine that a small boat with fewer divers could be crowded or maybe equally the same as a larger boat with more divers. Just really a matter of how much square space per diver is alotted.

I hope you have a great time no matter which dive liveaboard you choose. Because after all that is all that will matter in the end.

I have book Blackbeards for the end of Feb. 21- 27. I can't wait. There are still a couple of spots left if anyone is interested. They are going for $719.00US. PM me if you are interested.
TTFN

CincyBengalsFan:
Blackbeards ....... I worked for them back in '97. ..... etc. etc.

I have less than two years till I retire and am considering crewing live-aboards. Do you still do live-aboards? Do you have suggestions for someone who is interested? Is it crew for a week or two to decide whether a long term commitment is a good idea?.......

Back
Top Bottom