Does this look like a decent deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

utediver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
1 SeaQuest Pro QD with i3 technology and surelock integrated weight system. 1 Atomic Aquatics B2 and 1 alt air Apeks Egress balanced reg. These items are a year old and only used twice. The price is $850. It seems like a decent deal but I don't know much about gear yet and am afraid to pull the trigger on this. Is this good equipment and a good price? The owner paid $1400 for them about a year ago.

Thanks.

New you can get them for the following (priced from Leisurepro):
SeaQuest $350
Atomic Aquatics B2 $550 for the M1, couldn't find the price for B2, I think the M1 is a better reg than the B2 (someone will correct this if I am wrong :wink:)
Apeks Egress $120

Given you can get them new for around $1000 I'd be asking for a cheaper deal myself.

The prices in singapore are a bit different, so I cant comment on the price itself. Although it doesnt sound excessively cheap. Rule of thumb, as long as its been used, cut the price by half. Then bargain till the seller is pissed off :D

I bought my Halcyon Eclipse 30lbs BCD at US$410 when the cheapest any dive shop in Singapore was selling it was at US$830. The BCD was used for 1 weekend trip and had 5 dives on it. I could verify this fact. I was on the trip with the guy when he had bought it brand new from the shop I was working in.

Anyway, do remember to take a good look at the following :

BCD :

1. General condition : scratches, faded material, stiff material, cracking corrugated hose things like this. They'll give you an indication of how old the bcd actually is. Any BCD with less than 50 dives should look identical to a brand new BCD.

2. Check the power inflator. Inflate, deflate the BCD a few times to check that this is working.

3. Check the dump valves (these are the circular valves usually 2 of them on most BCDs, one near the top left hand corner and one at the bottom left hand corner.) Check to see that they aren't leaking and they are dumping air fine. Also unscrew them and check the condition of the spring and the rubber diaphragm inside for wear and tear.

4. Most important. Get a tank, FULLY inflate the BCD till its max. You'll know its at its max when the dump valves automatically start farting out air when you try to pump it in. Leave the BCD fully inflated in the corner for a while like half an hour to an hour. At the end of it, the BCD should still be as hard as it was when you first put it there. If it isn't, its leaking air.

Reg checks :

1. General condition, especially of the hoses as these usually dry up and crack.

2. Breathe from it when its NOT hooked up to a tank. You should not be able to inhale at all. If you can inhale, it suggests there is a problem.

3. Breathe from it when it IS hooked up to a tank. If there is a slight braaap sound when you exhale, its ok. Thats cos the diaphragm in the second stage is not wet.

4. Hook it up to a tank, pressurize the system and listen for leaks. You'll be able to hear any major leaks. Even better, throw the whole thing in a tub and look for bubbles.

5. After pressurising the system to 200 bar with a full tank, turn off the tank valve but do NOT depressurize the system (ie dont press the purge!) and leave the system fully pressurized with the tank valve turned off in a corner for at least an hour. When you get back, the SPG should still be reading 200bar (it should not have dropped)

6. Unscrew the second stage and generally check the condition of the parts inside esp the diaphragm. Take a peek inside the first stage (look at the filter) all these will give you an indication of how the reg has been used by its previous owner and what condition it is in and if the bastard is trying to pull a fast one on you.

I hope this helps! :D

UTE....... It doesn't matter what the original owner did or didn't pay for them. That is just mentioned to you as to build value in his pricing.

Look at the replacement cost of them, not what he paid. If you shop, I bet you can most of that for the same price new and have factory warranty on your new items...... By the time you buy the gear and have it inspected or serviced, you could have purchased new.

There is no way I would buy a used reg setup and not service it before diving it.......

Either :kicknut: and get a real deal or buy new....... Your not saving enough right now, my $ .03

Your in Utah, what do you guys need scuba gear for? I thought it was just puddles out there. :D

Good luck with your search......

I'm with Killer&Griller - you need to look at lifecycle cost.

Check warranties - most apply only to the original owner and some manufacturers (not sure about Atomics) will include parts for regular annual servicing to the original owner. I was looking at a used reg recently but as the second owner I would have had to pay for the parts for annual maintenance - it didn't take too many years to make up the difference between what the seller was asking and what it would cost brand new.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've decided not to buy the used gear. After reading some of the comments I am starting to think new is the way to go. There is a LDS close to my house that seems to be a good shop. I just took a refresher course from them. A brand new setup wouldn't be significantly more than the used stuff and I would have the warranty and support of the shop. The LDS has a 10% discount for buying a package and some of the gear in the package has rebates on top of that. I'm also thinking I need to become better educated about gear before I spend the money.

Also.. the QD with i3 is a bi of a Fad... better to go with something a bit more standard... you're paying a lot for somethin that isn't any easier or better to use than a standard inflator system.

If you buy the goods second hand off someone and he hands you the original receipt and he hasn't exactly registered with the warranty with the manufacturers, then doesnt that make you the "original" owner to the manufacturers?

Like for Mares, when you buy a BC, the shop scribbles down the receipt number and clips a copy of the receipt to the warranty card and gives one half to the owner and sends one half to the local distributor.

Now, if I buy a second hand BC and get the warranty card and get the receipt, I'll still be eligible for the warranty no?

Maybe in Singapore.......

Either you buy used gear or new gear from me..... you don't get used gear w/ new warranty card. I keep track of serial #'s that go on the sale receipts................

Come to thing of if, the name is on the sale receipt toooooo, imagine that........

Back
Top Bottom