Wife and I considering PADI Discovery in Cabo - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MCF

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to Cabo and considering a PADI Discovery Dive (shallow open water training and then up to two dives down to 40 feet). We both have our own real masks, fins, and snorkels we have used for snorkeling which we are comfortable with and works perfectly for us so we should be good with that equipment. My concern is the potential dangers for dives down to 40 feet. When I say dangers, I am not talking about sharks, etc. etc.. Can anyone provide any suggestions, recommendations, cautions, etc.etc. THe following is link it to the dive shop we plan to use. They have been very responsive and have very good reviews from the research I have done. This is a dive shop, not some excursion company that does a bunch of stuff and diving. Thanks! Manta SCUBA Diving, Cabo San Lucas, Sea of Cortez

Any time you are breathing air on Scuba there are some inherent dangers. Sound like your discover scuba dives will be a lot of fun. I would suggest, prior to going to Cabo, that you head down to a local dive shop and do a Discover Scuba in their pool.

What time of year are you going to Cabo?

jcf

///

Honestly, I'd skip the discover scuba class and do an OW class prior to going to on vacation. Then you'll have more freedom to choose the dive sites you wish to go to, and will have had a tad more experience prior to showing up, so you'll be less concerned about the details of being under-water and more able to appreciate what you're seeing.

That's how my wife and I got started, and I was really glad we did it that way -- as once we arrived at our location, the dives that sounded the best were not the one's used for discover and training programs. We did a few of those dives, and they were pretty cool, but the dives we were able to do by already being certified gave us views of manta rays and dolphins on top of the always cool fish and reefs.

As scubajcf correctly pointed out there are some inherent dangers associated with any dive.

Even with relatively shallow dives there is a risk of decompression related injuries if you ascend too rapidly and/or hold your breath while ascending. Watch your air consumption while underwater & stick to the dive plan (the instructor should discuss your turnaround air pressure prior to the dive). Maintain good buddy contact and, if something does go wrong stop & think before acting.

Where will you be doing most of your diving? If you anticipate becoming certified and diving in conditions that are more rigorous than those found at resorts you may want to do your training at home. I was recently on a course with a couple trained in the Caribbean and they were clearly uncomfortable diving in the St. Lawrence (cold water, heavy wetsuit, current, lower visibility)

Pay attention, don't take shortcuts & have fun!

Would be good to know if the instructor going with you on the dive will only have the two of you to watch...and that the depth is limited as you said (shallow is better)...

you might look into a bus ride up to Loreto, like 30 miles, the dives are better, and the conditions much more suited,

Always either be inhaling or exhaling. The biggest inherent danger you will probably face is that, once you do the dives, you will wish you had gotten certified before going:) Have fun!!!

Thanks all!! We are leaving for Cabo Saturday so any type of certification before isn't going to happen. The pre-dive training occurs in open water - about a 5 minute boat ride from the marina in Cabo to a very calm sand barge to get you acclimated to being in open water and learning skills in water that is ony 4-5 deep. Then after that a brief boat ride and dive 30 to 40 feet deep. A divemaster dives with the group (not sure how many are in group). My biggest concern I guess is that at say 40 feet, if my wife panics for some reason and starts ascending faster than you would expect, is there possibility of serious injury if she continues to breathe while ascending? I know there can be serious injury if someone ascends from that depth and does not breath.

I would seriously consider a class that does lessons in a pool first. Especially, if your wife might panic. Controlled conditions first. Have fun

Well on a discover dive you should not be more then 30 feet deep from what I have heard. But to answer your question is if she continues to breathe then the risk for injury is minimal. Just remember to take everything slow. If you begin to think your uncomfortable then take your time and swim to the surface.

I do agree with the guys I wish you had more time to certify but I am sure you will have fun anyway. Also be sure to let us know how it went!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom