Safe or unsafe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spearguns remind me of a saying about mules, "A mule will work hard for you for 40 years just for the opportunity to get in one good kick..."

I like that! :D

I can't remember the number of times I was passed up a spear gun point first while helping people out of the water. I was only handed a gun with bands tensioned once. I've always wondered who found that gun. :D

Craig

I might have found it several years ago off of West Palm Beach in about 30-50 feet of water. Brand new, loaded and cocked!

Can't remember exactly where and the depth without looking it up in my log book, but probably about 5 years ago on a drift dive, it was on the bottom and in brand new condition. Teak 48 inch and right beside a nice grouper. I wasn't in the mood to shoot, but my buddy went nuts. Couldn't believe I didn't shoot dinner...... Thanks for jogging my memory, and I did have a witness.....

Last edited:
Rule # 1: The weapon is always loaded and can injure/kill. Treat it that way.
Rule # 2: If the weapon is unloaded or thought to be so, refer to Rule # 1. No excuses!
I think that pretty well covers it.
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT

no cop in the world would take you to jail for stomping someone pointing a gun at you...you might even be able to shoot him first with another speargun and claim self defense. Its rediculous to hear this kinda malarkey going on.

Next time some one points one at you, just ask them if they want to wear it...as a rudder!

As of right now there is no laws on speargun's in the State of Florida. They are not considered as a weapon even if you possess powerhead's for them. I personally think that rule should change as I believe it is a firearm. I think anything with a trigger mechanism should be considered a firearm.
But I would also like to say that most spearfishermen and women are very careful with the way the handle there guns. They are also more careful on the reefs and they also know what they are shooting before they shoot. It's not like the fishing guys pulling up a fish that they cant keep and by the time they get the hook out they have killed that poor fish. But I can say this for us who spearfish we are not only careful but we take pride in what we do, at least I know I do and my spearfishing buddy's. And the ones that don't watch out for other divers should be called out in front of everyone so they don't forget the rules.

The reason I think speargun's should be considered firearms is that they can be used outside of water if someone wanted to use them in another way they were not intended for. If someone put a powerhead on a tip and shot it at someone it would be just like shooting them with a reg gun or even with a spear on the end could kill someone . But the law does not see it that way because they don't know to much about speargun's and think they are harmless. The feel they lose there power once shot.:shakehead: It's a shame because a speargun is a weapon IMO.

All I can say is make sure your gun is unloaded when entering and existing a boat.
Never point your gun unless you are ready to fire it and you are sure no one is in your path. I good rule of thumb is take your spear out of your gun when on the boat and lay it on the side of the boat out of everyone's way or put it away in cubby.

I can't remember the number of times I was passed up a spear gun point first while helping people out of the water. I was only handed a gun with bands tensioned once. I've always wondered who found that gun. :D

Craig

I have heard this story more than once. A friend of mine was on a diveboat when a diver with a loaded speargun handed it up to the deckhand, who immediately threw it into the water. No one retrieved that gun!!! Well, actually, I bet the deckhand/divemaster returned to the mooring buoy later and got a well deserved nice woody! :)

....As of right now there is no laws on speargun's in the State of Florida. They are not considered as a weapon even if you possess powerhead's for them. .....

I used to think that way too. Depending on the officer involved and his interpetation of the statue, the speargun is a weapon.

Now here the scary part. Last year I was outside of a dive shop and holding speargun waiting for a buddy. It had the spear in the trigger pocket, but the bands were not stretched. A police officer drove up to check on me. Since I was sitting in the open rear floor of my van with it, he also asked me to produce my 'concealed weapons permit' which I carry all the time. His reasoning was since I was in my vehicle, the gun was loaded (spear in) and it was in reach, I needed a concealed permit to handle it. The LEO could have been wrong, but further research leaves the interpetation of possesion of the 'weapon' up to the officer and whether to charge you. Every spearo should strongly consider getting a concealed weapons permit since it's about the only good way to challenge a LEO's loose interpetation of 'weapon' and 'possession'. The CWP stops the arguement right away.

Citation:
[URL="http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch[/URL]

(6) "Firearm" means any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; any destructive device; or any machine gun. The term "firearm" does not include an antique firearm unless the antique firearm is used in the commission of a crime.

When a customer comes in the Dive Center to look at a speargun we inform them when they pick it up to watch where they are pointing it; be it at somebody or knocking stuff off the shelf or wall as well.

we also keep the bands zip tied together to prevent them from being loaded.
same thing we do on all of our archery bows, zip tied strings to cables, no pulling back any bows.

banded guns i think at a minimum should be handled as a sharp object like your handling a sword or something. Only because they are obviously loaded or unloaded. With that if your within a few feet of a person it shouldnt be pointed near their general area. If im shopping in a store i try pointing towards a wall but sometimes, when at a busy boat ramp and finishing loading boat or while getting back on boat it may get pointed accidentally towards someone for a split second. Pneumatics I dont mess with because they have the potential of getting way expensive for maintnance so i dont have to worry about them. With that being said Spearguns are supposed to only be loaded in the water. Kinda like loading your hunting riffle in stand or blind. I would much rather walk by a guy pointing an untensioned banded gun at me than walk through gander mountains firearms dept, those people are scarry some will look down the muzzle like they are checking the suicide capibility of that gun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom