Any comments on the Drager Ray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

extreme

Reaction score
How are the older Ray's as a means to get into the world of rebreather diving for an affordable price? Are there any safety concerns with these units? Mechanical problems? How does the BC handle in the water? I would appreciate any comments on this subject.

Extreme out.

I have not dove the ray, but have experience with the dolphin. They are both simple units. Pretty reliable in the right hands. But dont really offer any significant advantages over OC. It really depends alot on the type of diving you do and intend to do in the future. I would look at a dolphin over the ray, they sell pretty reasonable used as well. Most guys I know with the Dolphin were happy with it they just outgrew it rather quickly. With either unit get the oxygauge, it boosts the price up but will save your rear someday.

PS: If you post your experience and intentions you will get much better advise and recomendations...:)

What I have heard is that the Ray was a mega flop for Drager, They spend Big dollars to development the unit, however, it has not paid for them. The Ray has some limits that concern the consumers.
Probably good for rentals at your resorts, but thats about it.
They are cheap, remember, you get what you pay for.

solodyver:
What I have heard is that the Ray was a mega flop for Drager, They spend Big dollars to development the unit, however, it has not paid for them. The Ray has some limits that concern the consumers.
Probably good for rentals at your resorts, but thats about it.
They are cheap, remember, you get what you pay for.

Could you be more expansive on that? I am more interested in the specific components: DSV, hoses and scrubber. My friends and I wish to use these parts to construct our own fully closed circuit rigs for a specific diving project.

I don't need a lecture on the perils of homebuilding. Just specifics on what is good/bad about these parts.

Duncan

Duncan Price:
I don't need a lecture on the perils of homebuilding.
You think anybody would give you one? :D

As I said before I never dove one, nor do I particulary want to. The loop is pretty much Dräger standard fare. Scrubber size/duration is
1,125kg/110min @ 30L/min according to their German website.

Don't know the availability of parts in the UK, there's a German outfit in Berlin who sells all the bits and pieces: http://www.watersafety.net/eindex.htm

Not only could that save a pound or two, but also some disapointment. Somehow the parts are more impressive than the product. :wink:

Like someone said before, no significant advantages over OC, with the plus of handling all SC problems and costs...
IMHO the way is goes depends on the dives you do...and if you think, extending bottom times and extrem depths apeals 2 you then CCR is the answer.
I´ve chosen the YBOD

now i am not sure what or who is telling you this but the dolphin is alot better in my opinion the oc.
you can go to 100 feet for 60 mins or 150 ft for 60 mins and use the same amount of gas?
lighter then straping two doubles on for sure.
i dont understand why people think the dolphin cant be used for deep dives?(ok max depth would be 220 feet on the unit)
in cold water you are breathing warm moist gas instead of cold dry gas from oc
no you cant get the optium mix like with the ccr.once you figure metabolic rate in different conditions you will be able to figure the proper mix in for the dive you are going to do.
if you are going to do deep dives yes you need to carry a deco bottle,i personal have two alternative air sources the bottle gas i dont use the small tank that comes with the unit i put a 65 steel on there with a h valve on side goes to rebreather the other is a completly separate regs for oc bail out i also carry a 13 bottle that i use to inflat dry suit and have a 1st and 2nd stage reg on it for bail out also.(figured i should explain this so you dont think i just use the off the shelf unit and go deep and long with it that way)
it is a simple unit no electronics to fail but you do need to put a guage on it to read your pp02

dreger ray i believe you can only use 1 mix and 1 orifice so max depth is 70 feet i beleive (dont hold me to that going from memory and i think they stoped making them?)

landfish:
dreger ray i believe you can only use 1 mix and 1 orifice so max depth is 70 feet i beleive (dont hold me to that going from memory and i think they stoped making them?)
Landfish, the Dräger Ray comes standard with a 50% Nitrox dosing/bypass unit. Unlike the Dolphin, the entire unit has to be replaced in order to use a different mix. It's available for EAN32 (T53048), EAN40 (T53275) as well as 100% Oxygen (T53511). At over $200 each they are pretty expensive, though. Rather stupid design, I think. Even the Dolphin is better. I still prefer the dosing unit used in the Azimuth which can be infinitely adjusted for 32% to 60% O2, and allows a second tank to be plugged into the loop.
However, the best cmf dosage unit I can think of is the KISS valve with the manual gas addition. More efficient gas use and none of that orifice switching hassle. The best Dolphins are KISSed Dolphins.

More out of curiousity, did you ever dive your Dolphin past 200 ft?
If so what gas and what orifice are you using? At those depth I asume you're on Trimix or Heliox, how does the He influence the flow rate, how do you calculate and plan your dives?
What max ppO2 do you dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom