Diving after neck surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Has anyone gone back to diving after neck surgery?what were the results?:confused:
a disc removal with titanium spacers with screws for stabilization.
I an a novice diver and rarely go to 100'
Thanks

1996 I had c6 & c7 fused and bolted. Never had any issues diving over the years. My neck gets sore after a long day of diving but that's more of a position issue from looking up in trim.

Hi daffydoc69,

- How long ago was the surgery?

- Any complications?

- Any limitation in range of motion?

- Any current medication for pain relief?

- How is your general health and level of physical fitness?

Regards,

DocVikingo

I am having the surgery on August 14, 2009;
currently have some range of motion limitation due to pain; but it was not a problem with diving previously.
Always had help getting equipment off prior to going up the ladders. airport transport of equipment was more of a problem.
Currently taking 1-2 percocet per day and hope to have NO pain meds post surgery.
General health is good and have logged 100 dives even with the back and neck issues(pain only).
I just read horror stories on the web and stopped doing that. Everyone I've spoken with who had the surgery did well-but none of them dive and none had the titanium spacers and screws.

I am having the surgery on August 14, 2009;
currently have some range of motion limitation due to pain; but it was not a problem with diving previously.
Always had help getting equipment off prior to going up the ladders. airport transport of equipment was more of a problem.
Currently taking 1-2 percocet per day and hope to have NO pain meds post surgery.
General health is good and have logged 100 dives even with the back and neck issues(pain only).
I just read horror stories on the web and stopped doing that. Everyone I've spoken with who had the surgery did well-but none of them dive and none had the titanium spacers and screws.

Good luck. It took me sometime to get back up to speed. Take it easy and don't push yourself. No pain here but I can tell you if it's going to rain.

thank you; the surgeon postponed it until Aug 28th

My wife had c5 and C6 and C7 fused in 1998 or 1999 (can't remember). We didn't start diving until 2004, but she hasn't had any issues yet.

Just follow the doc's directions to the letter and you shouldn't have any problems. I think about 6 months after the surgery, she was released to do any activity she wanted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom