Miflex HP hose problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They should never be the first tool of choice. But I have seen them used as the last tool just before the item is placed in the trash can. Even when they work, they tend to make a mess of plastic and brass.

It all depends how you use a tool. In my case when I pulled the air tube I did not lock the vice grip but used it as a pliers. There's no damage to the tube.

Adam

Jeff, any basis for your opinion referenced below? Or is it just your personal feeling? Although I am sure a brass SPG feels more solid, has anyone had a bad experience with a plastic unit? The TUSA models, for example?

Thanks.

--Jarett

Adam,

It may be time to take this SPG to a pro for a little love and attention. Also, just a personal opinion, but I'm pretty negative on plastic SPGs --you might want to get a metal gauge for that new Miflex hose.

Jeff

Jeff, any basis for your opinion referenced below? Or is it just your personal feeling? Although I am sure a brass SPG feels more solid, has anyone had a bad experience with a plastic unit? The TUSA models, for example?

Thanks.

--Jarett

Jarett,

Yes, because Hatul wrote this:

I now have a different problem. In the process of examining the workings of the connector, I unscrewed the metal fitting from the Oceanic gauge. This threads into the metal gauge and has two O rings. The metal gauge sits loose in the plastic case, part of which forms the window face of the gauge. The problem is, when I try to screw the connector back into the gauge it pushes the gauge in the case and misaligns the thread that accepts the connector and the threads cannot mate.

It looks like the plastic case needs to be opened but I've not been able to do this as the plastic window face is screwed in tight. Any ideas on this?

Based on that, it was my view that a professional technician should take a look at the SPG

I have had negative experiences with plastic SPGs. The only SPGs I've seen actually explode were plastic --and I've seen two of them literally blow up. I own six metal SPGs and have never had a problem with any of them --and I'm rough on my gear. Both my son and daughter dive and my son's SPG is plastic --when I looked at it the other day it had water inside. I have no idea how the water got into it, but it's there. Needless to say, that guage is retired.

A submersible pressure guage has the potential to be a real failure point in your gear and metal is simply more robust than plastic so why take a chance?

I've personally never seen a metal SPG fail, as mentioned above, I have seen several plastic ones fail.

Thanks for the question.

Jeff

A submersible pressure guage has the potential to be a real failure point in your gear and metal is simply more robust than plastic so why take a chance?

Jeff

And at the same time you are still willing to accept a plastic regulator (2nd stage). :lotsalove:

:rofl3:

And at the same time you are still willing to accept a plastic regulator (2nd stage). :lotsalove:

What actually do you instruct??

Pressure Gauge = High Pressure port/hose connection... 3500PSI
Regulator = Low Pressure port/hose connection... 150PSI

+1 on metal SPG's

So, how do you know he is not diving a Conshelf?

So, how do you know he is not diving a Conshelf?

Sometime we dive together... I know what he dives... :D

What actually do you instruct??

Pressure Gauge = High Pressure port/hose connection... 3500PSI
Regulator = Low Pressure port/hose connection... 150PSI

+1 on metal SPG's

All the components exposed to pressure in all SPG have always been metal (as far as I know). Only the outer case is plastic.

Many modern second stages use not only plastic on the outer case, but also in many of the internal components… including the volcano orifice, etc.

I don’t use a plastic SPG, but I don’t use a plastic second stage either (“not that there is anything wrong with that”, actually IMHO there are better choices in many designs, but that is a different subject)… this is just personal preference.

Don’t get me wrong… plastics are great engineering materials when properly used and selected… I would never go white water kayaking with anything but a plastic kayak (we used to call them Tupperware kayaks). :D

I too have had a SPG blow up on me. Yes, the case was plastic, but the failure was with the metal bourdon tube which had developed a leak and blew case apart. Even if the case had been metal, it still would have blown out the glass/plastic face plate. Since then, whenever purchasing a SPG one feature I always look for is a blow out plug on the case as the flying lens and dial face almost cut my ear off.

c

what brands come with a blow out plug?

I too have had a SPG blow up on me. Yes, the case was plastic, but the failure was with the metal bourdon tube which had developed a leak and blew case apart. Even if the case had been metal, it still would have blown out the glass/plastic face plate. Since then, whenever purchasing a SPG one feature I always look for is a blow out plug on the case as the flying lens and dial face almost cut my ear off.

c

Posted via Mobile Device

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom