10 yr old Wreck Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you read the thread, you would see that the father is a CERTIFIED instructor. The kid got a huge jump on the rest of his classmates when he started his cert class.

Ok, terd, I was saying if his father is a scuba instructor, I would think he would get certified, i wasnt making any insults or accusations towards either one of them. I was stating the way i felt about certs. I thought the boys father would think the same way, just different opinion. read my whole post next time.

First off, try staying on point and not turning it into personal attacks.....

You weren't making insults towards them but you are to me......

I did read your whole post......... you expressed an opinion without having accurate knowledge of the situation or circumstance....classic rookie mistake.... your retort reiterates this. I am hoping that you will come to an educated point in the near future, if possible, though.......

What you may not know about certs is that they cost money for an instructor also. This is probably ONE of the reasons he didn't do it right away. Another reason is some instructors would like their children to get a cert from someone else to make sure they are not bias..... Then again, it was also stated that his instructor's license wasn't active.......hummm..... that could be it also.........

You read the thread. Don't be afraid to ask questions before making an "opinion".

Try to stay on the topic and not get emotionally involved by taking it to a personal level....sometimes it is better to think then to "feel" as you expressed your opinion was based on. Just a though.

I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your courses.

I admire you now for being a bigger person than I at this time. Ha, im sorry for bringing it to a personal level. I know it costs money, and he undoubtedly taught his son safety procedures, I dont know the extent of the dangers of not having a cert, so I was in some wrong. Thanks you for enlightening me. It is better to spend money and get the cert in my opinion, but I dont know what anyone could do to you while already in a dive with a cert. Not sure if anything like the police or whatev. Im a bad communicator, and a teen, so I apologize for my misreading

i had many opinions before i read the video, but after i had read many of the responses to the original post...I dont think anybody would have said anything if the fact about the boys age if it hadn't been revealed in the title.

Enough of that, did you guys see those fish! I dont think ill get into scuba, just freediving, but that wreck site looked like fresh sushi heaven!

I plan to not only take my son with me in a year or two (when hes 7 or 8) to go spearfishing, but also let him shoot guns, ride dirtbikes and the like. I dont push my kid to do anything. Some of you old farts cant remember being younger and longing to grow up and have fun just like your folks or bigger kids. And dont pull that older more responsible BS. There are plenty of grown men and women who do dumb stuff everyday, and suffer the consequence. The boy cant make decisions for himself, blah blah blah, THATS WHY HIS FATHER WAS WITH HIM!!!!

As for the instructor part, gimme a break. Ive seen cops on bikes pulling wheelies and Travis Pastrana jumping out of a plane with no parachute (just a redbull). Rules are made when people dont have any common sense in what they are doing (unlike Dumpster Dad who is clearly an expert in what he is doing).

As for the lifejacket...i think the boy should have been wearing one, suits are not CG approved to replace a lifejacket. Am i guilty of not having one on my kids 100% of the time? Yeah, does that make it right, no. Can we leave the past behind us? I can.

And the boy CLEARLY is just petting the fish (who doesnt seem to mind).

Good reply Stick, I think all of the bashing should end, Sorry again for personal attacks, anyways, all the ugly should end, they had fun and the kid is on his way to be a great diver

Kids are incredible fast learners. What are some things the boy might have learned from these experiences -- beyond water skills?

Safety rules are for those other gits who don't know as much/aren't as talented. (Actually I think this might be appropriate for adults; but children should be taught to respect rules because they lack high quality risk assessment of their own.)

When handling heavy machinery, it's a good idea to jury-rig solutions as necessary -- like leaving the helm to look out the side to see where you're going.

It's ok to bother or damage the wildlife, if that damage is necessary to your fun.

It's ok to push right by really mastering the core skills of your sport, if what you're really interested in is the cool advanced stuff (spearfishing, not trim).

It's easy for me to say; I don't have kids. I'd never have said a word if DumpsterDiver hadn't essentially invited comment (by making the post in a discussion board). I just see some things in here I wouldn't want to be teaching a kid. That is what really caught my attention, not the fact that the kid's diving a wreck or driving a boat.

I've no wish to insult or bash, this is just one person's take on the situation.

I've been trying to put my finger on why I found this video so disturbing. I think BioLogic hit the nail on the head. This particular kid may be physically able to handle this dive, but does he have the maturity to distinguish between those safety guidelines he needs to follow and those he can discard as inconvenient?

I also have to address the sexism embedded throughout this thread. The "only dads can turn out a real man" chest thumping is condescending to all the strong independent female divers who visit ScubaBoard.

I'm a mom of a son who was certified at 10. This weekend I'm taking my now 14 year old backpacking. On last year's trip I taught him to string a bear bag, start a fire in the rain and make an emergency shelter. This year he'll be doing all the navigation and, if he proves himself, will be able to take next year's trip with a friend. His dad is an athlete and a leader but camping just isn't his thing and, frankly, I have a lot more expertise in the woods than my hubby does.

I encourage my son to challenge himself, but I've also taught him to respect the rules, not simply follow those he or I like. I've taught him that if the trail is closed you don't take it. If the rules say you can't take a cave diving course until you're 15 you'll have something cool to look forward to.

Biologic, I think that if you arnt skilled enough to dive in a certain area and not damage it and still have fun, then dont dive. Preserve the majority of our planet and leave it the way you found it so the next diver can enjoy.

Everything else that Bio and Sue said are spot on, its all about the specific individual, if you dont know them, then dont make the accusations

Biologic, I think that if you arnt skilled enough to dive in a certain area and not damage it and still have fun, then dont dive. Preserve the majority of our planet and leave it the way you found it so the next diver can enjoy.

That is precisely my position. What disturbed me is that the opposing message seemed to be what would be taught by the dive. There's no way I could deal with a 2 knot current to get through that small entry without banging and hanging ... so in my judgment, I shouldn't try that entry.

Back
Top Bottom