Bail up bottle Back up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With my single HP100s I use a 30cf slung pony.

I have been pondering the same question and plan on going with a Luxfer 30cf slung. Price is right and I only plan deep recreational diving for quite some time. Just want a completely separate source in case of freeze up at 120' in 38 degree water...:errrr:

Ah, I remember my first "bail up bootle"

:D

But seriously, when I was diving a single steel tank in wreck I used a slung 40cf bottle. Figured I'd have it when I eventually went more tech, which I did.

Pro's

- lots of extra gas in a 40cf vs 19, 13, etc
- slinging allows you to move it out of the way as needed in tight spots
- now a dedicate 100% O2 bottle

Con's

- uhh...
- umm...
- I got nothing...

:D

Agreed on the Pro's but as a happy 19 cu ft owner, I have to add a couple of Con's:

- Heavy and big (forget air travel)
- gets in the way a lot, especially when using a bulky photo rig

If he's penetrating anything, I sure hope he goes with doubles instead. IMO a pony only makes sense for deepish, recreational, open water diving. If you're going deeper, colder or inside anything, doubles are the only way to go.

I second that.

I am just getting into technical diving. I train with a very experienced pair of tec/cavers and the general attitude is that pony bottles give a false sense of security. I am diving double 104's, use rule of thirds and gas match with buddy at all times. In the case of a catastrophic failure, your buddy should have adequate gas to get you to the surface and vice/versa you for him.

If he's penetrating anything, I sure hope he goes with doubles instead. IMO a pony only makes sense for deepish, recreational, open water diving. If you're going deeper, colder or inside anything, doubles are the only way to go.

looking for an answer as to WHY? Not trying to be a smartass or anything just want to hear your opinion on that please

looking for an answer as to WHY? Not trying to be a smartass or anything just want to hear your opinion on that please

Manifolded doubles have a greater redundancy as you have two regulators connected to the same large air source (double tanks) and in the case of a leak or freeflow the ability to shut off either regulator and preserve the majority of the gas in the two tanks. You can also shut off the air flow between the tanks and preserve half your gas.

A singles diver has a much smaller air supply to start with and in the event of a problem with the primary tank the only option is to switch to the pony which may or may not even work when needed. In addition to that it is widely believed that the pony causes divers to have a false sense of security and therefore get into trouble more readily.

All this means that when properly diving thirds inside a wreck you have more options and are generally safer with the doubles.

That is a very simplified version.

Depends on the dive. Anything from a single 40, to multiple 80's

Manifolded doubles have a greater redundancy as you have two regulators connected to the same large air source (double tanks) and in the case of a leak or freeflow the ability to shut off either regulator and preserve the majority of the gas in the two tanks. You can also shut off the air flow between the tanks and preserve half your gas.

A singles diver has a much smaller air supply to start with and in the event of a problem with the primary tank the only option is to switch to the pony which may or may not even work when needed. In addition to that it is widely believed that the pony causes divers to have a false sense of security and therefore get into trouble more readily.

All this means that when properly diving thirds inside a wreck you have more options and are generally safer with the doubles.

That is a very simplified version.

Well put. Any overhead diving (wreck penetration, caves, deco) requires both increase gas volume to provide an adequate reserve (rule of thirds) as well as increased redundancy (two 1st stages and two 2nd stages accessing the same gas volume). A pony bottle does not provide this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom