No diving at Paya Bay (mini trip report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

openhelix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Spent a few days to start my trip at Paya Bay. Despite telling me they had their own dive op I found they had an empty shack and a well worn boat in dry dock. :shakehead: I tried to dive with their former partner op Tropica Island Divers and no luck their either. No one answered the phone and no response to email. I did do a snorkeling trip to pigeon cay that was a lot of fun but disappointed I didn't get to dive Morat Wall (or at all for 3 days).

Continuing the disappointment... the food was horrible. Like, worse than denny's. I ordered a burger and it came from a can on some stale bread. The morning "buffet" was completely inedible.

Definitely won't be back and can't recommend it to other divers/friends. :no:

Sorry about your horrible experience. I worked and lived at Paya Bay for several months when it did have a dive operation. I thought the food was okay but not great but I understand they have an entire new crew in the kitchen.

Its too bad you didn't ask questions on the forum before going. The dive operation has been gone for almost two years. The new operation was moved to Marble Hill just up the road and only about 1/2 mile away by boat. I know the people their and visited them recently. I knew the operation was in trouble again. They have no marketing to speak of and probably just didn't have any business. Too bad, because Paya Bay is such a beautiful location on the island.

I don't see a complaint, really. Just somebody with an adventurous soul trying to please the anti-diving bride. Hey, some of us take chances.

But I am reminded of that old Cheech and Chong routine....

"Looks like dog poop, smells like dog poop, feels like dog poop, tastes like dog poop. Must be dog poop. Good thing we didn't step in it!".

It is still the prettiest piece of land on Roatan. When civilization (infrastructure) catches up and the place becomes part of some path (versus not on any path right now, unbeaten or not), it will likely be quite the exclusive place. Someday.

Until then, like (the t-shirt and) I say... Fortune rewards the brave.

OpenHelix- you have just now become the :sblogo: expert on all things Paya Bay. Thanks for your adventurous instincts.

I don't see a complaint, really. .

Hmmm,
These things seemed like complaints to me, I guess i am still learning

I didn't get to dive Morat Wall (or at all for 3 days).

Continuing the disappointment... the food was horrible. Like, worse than denny's. I ordered a burger and it came from a can on some stale bread. The morning "buffet" was completely inedible.

Paya Bay- Topless sunbathing allowed. Becomes clothing optional during designated naturist weeks

Who cares about the food? :eyebrow:

Careful there Lava, Topless can be bad enough at times. I for one hope they keep the thongs on.

You do have a point though. I am sure many are probably not too worried about food right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's an old saying that is so true...Most people who go naked, shouldn't.

Later, Hawk.

It's not complaining to me... He's giving a report, detailing the things he didn't like about it and his opinion of the place. He takes the time to explain what he didn't like. Complaining, at least to me, would be more empty, unexplained crtiticism of the operation, which is not the case here. The difference between the two is subtle, but it's there... Hopefully the post will be usefull to other divers on the board!:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom