Sea Lion BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatic Eagle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have any thoughts from experience with the Sea Soft Sea Lion BCs? I hear they are very good for rental lines because of their adjustability.

We have been using the Sea Lion in our rental department for over 3 years. It is very adjustable and it is nice to only have to carry 3 sizes...XS, Regular and XL. We keep 2 XS, 10 Regular and 2 XL in our rental line and I never have a problem with fitting BCDs or running out of sizes. Fitting takes about 2-3 minutes and adjusting the straps is very easy.

This BC works well in our cold water enviroment and is very comfortable with intergrated weights (up to 30#) and with weight belts. We find we use a combination and the BC performs very well. I would encourage your students to load the weight into the bcd from the zippered compartment, rather than dumping the weight through the bottom clip.

Tank slippage is unheard of because it has 2 tank straps. In an emergency, it is very, very easy to dump weight. No extra pouchs or velcro to deal with. The dump clip allows you to pull straight down. No extra steps. The orange bags are nice because if someone dumps weight, they are easy to spot and recover. It is also easy to mount a SS1 or Air 2 on to this BCD, but we found the easy air dumps on this BC work wonderful.

The buckles and straps are tough. I have not had a single buckle or strap break or rip. We had stitching on one of the dump pockets come apart and Seasoft fixed it in record time and free of charge. Consider how many we have and use, I think that is awesome.

I would avoid putting them in the pool if you can. If you do use them in the pool, make sure your students wash them and submerge them in fresh water, otherwise, they will turn brown. Ours still look black after 3+ years of use and in good condition. I won't replace them for at least another year or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom