Who's been diving in Barbados and what did you think??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi! Looks like this is a really old thread, but if the author is still monitoring it, I think we are seeking the same info & some direct response from you would be useful. I am considering a trip down there in the next few weeks, and would be staying at the hilton. However, in researching your shop, seems to be mixed reviews. Everyone says great outfit, very professional, but some reviews (not all) indicated that you use a timed dive style, as opposed to diving to limits (or even first in group to reach limit/all come up together approach). Could you comment on whether this is true? Seems to be some disagreement on this. I understand why some outfits use timed dives, but I am a photographer who likes to be able to choose a leisurely pace. I also use my air very well so don't want to come back up with a full tank unless I'm on a drift dive & someone else has to come up. Feel free to comment here or PM me.

Thanks!

Looking throuh the Board and saw this thread. Boy, did it take me back. I did my first dive (resort)in Barbados in 1991. Immediately upon my return home I ran to the LDS and signed up for O/W training. The rest is history. :)
Don't remember the dive op, but it did a good job training me in the pool before putting me in the open water, all 20 ft of it. The resort we stayed at was pink and on the Gold Coast?
I do know from experience that shopping for the rates in the shoulder season, or off season, can really cut your costs.

Five trips to Barbados. Love it, maybe going back in July/Aug. maybe dive the east coast maybe do my DM course. Dive 90% with Barbados Blue because they treat me very well. I don't know about timed dives with BB usually goes till a majority of group is low on O2 I have done 70 min. dives with them in Carlisle bay on the wrecks. The only other complaint I have heard is running on Caribbean time but I also noticed most times they leave late is due to divers showing up late. Have been Diving in St. Thomas, St.Marten, St.Kitts, Cozumel, Akumal Mexico and Banff Alberta Canada, I always think the reefs in Barbados look healthier than most places. fishing has reduced the size of the fish you see compared to Cozumal but not the numbers or diversity also more turtles than anywhere else I have been. Beautiful Island, lots to see and do ashore as well, Wildlife park, The Crane beach is the nicest beach I have ever seen with the finest softest sand. The Carib is a great little beach bar populated mostly by locals, Crystal Waters beach bar for a fun Sunday afternoon BBQ and entertainment, find the best burgers ever at one of the street stands in the Gap every night after 7:00pm. Fri. night supper and souvinier shopping as well as music and dancing at Oistens can't be missed. It is a historicaly interesting Island and if you like sports they are big on Cricket, Polo, Horse racing and the surfing is apparently good on the east coast at the Soup Bowl. I don't have an opinion on nightlife or partying as I don't drink and tend to spend all my cash on diving. I do feel guily that I rarely take any photos above water but I spend more time in, on or under the water. Um,,,, thats all I have to say about that.

Hi! Looks like this is a really old thread, but if the author is still monitoring it, I think we are seeking the same info & some direct response from you would be useful. I am considering a trip down there in the next few weeks, and would be staying at the hilton. However, in researching your shop, seems to be mixed reviews. Everyone says great outfit, very professional, but some reviews (not all) indicated that you use a timed dive style, as opposed to diving to limits (or even first in group to reach limit/all come up together approach). Could you comment on whether this is true? Seems to be some disagreement on this. I understand why some outfits use timed dives, but I am a photographer who likes to be able to choose a leisurely pace. I also use my air very well so don't want to come back up with a full tank unless I'm on a drift dive & someone else has to come up. Feel free to comment here or PM me.

Thanks!
Good Day

Sorry for the lag been underwater too long, yes that can happen. First thing first we always place safty first and at times we have had to limit dive times to 35mins esp when deep or strong current, or if on a repetative dive and computers are going to keep divers on the surface way too long.

We also like to take it nice and slow and we love photographers so that is cool, please always talk to us if there are any special requirements. For example, some divers may be trying to reach a wreck (their highlight) and pass over some of the reef faster than normal, whereas other divers dont want to see the wreck and want to slowly cross the reef. Once againg that is cool but we just need to know about preferences. Happy divers are safer divers.
One Love!

Andre Miller

35 minutes! Last visit we dived with West Side Scuba, I always elected to go with the cruise ship visitors. Jump in first and you get at 15 to 20 mins more dive time as they were so slow getting in.

Loving it! Divemaster course? does that mean you'll come and work for us soon too??? Oh the possibilities!

Happy diver we will see you soon :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom