Recommendations for mounting pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vtxkev

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have searched and read the threads that discuss mounting or slinging your pony bottle. I am interested in mounting it to my bp&w and right now I use the rescue tech (I believe) pony bottle holder and it just seems to interfere with the bp&w. Do they make something I can mount to the backplate that would still allow me to pass off the pony in an emergency situation?

My technique will probably not be suitable for the type of diving you are doing in N.J./Pa. with colder water, possibly bulkier equipment, maybe more stressful conditions........but for warm, open water, recreational diving I use a 6 cu.ft. pony held to the plate with velcro straps (usually used for argon bottles). This sits under my left arm and hose is routed behind neck, down my right side, and held to the waist belt D - ring with rubber snorkel keeper. Bottle is small, air limited, and will allow only minimum time to solve problems. The advantage for me is that I actually will dive with this set up, and can travel with it easily.It is small enough to be convenient and is not noticeable during the dive. I have never had to use this, other than for practice (which I do). I dive this with a 5' primary and a bungeed short hose back-up with no problem. Bear in mind that this is not enough gas for anything approaching technical limits or for very cold water or high currents where SAC will be elevated. My objective is to have a system that I will use regularly that will allow me to either reach another diver or get to the surface alive.

I use a diveright stage bottle sling. It has top and bottom clips so you can mount it on D rings and pass it if needed. I got the idea from two people I have a great deal of faith in as divers who use it and swear by it.

Do they make something I can mount to the backplate that would still allow me to pass off the pony in an emergency situation?

Sure...

d-ring.jpg

You should have one of these on your left chest strap, and another on your left hip.

Then set your pony up with a stage rigging kit and you're good to go!

RJP's tongue in cheek answer is actually correct -- You can easily rig a pony the way one rigs a stage or deco bottle, and sling it. The advantages are that you can easily see the valve and detect leaks, and you can also put a pressure gauge on the setup that you can read underwater. The whole assembly is easy to manipulate and hand off if necessary.

I have searched and read the threads that discuss mounting or slinging your pony bottle. I am interested in mounting it to my bp&w and right now I use the rescue tech (I believe) pony bottle holder and it just seems to interfere with the bp&w. Do they make something I can mount to the backplate that would still allow me to pass off the pony in an emergency situation?

Thanks for the answers, but I think everyone missed the real question. Do they make something I can mount to the BACKPLATE?

Thanks for the answers, but I think everyone missed the real question. Do they make something I can mount to the BACKPLATE?

What size pony bottle do you have or want to use?

I backmount a 19cubic ft pony, for shallow and clear water using the quickdraw brad pony bracket which technically mounts to the tank straps.

Dive Rite makes what they call a argon mount which mounts the bottle right to the plate. its cheap and simple. maybe what your looking for.

T

What size pony bottle do you have or want to use?

I backmount a 19cubic ft pony, for shallow and clear water using the quickdraw brad pony bracket which technically mounts to the tank straps.

Dive Rite makes what they call a argon mount which mounts the bottle right to the plate. its cheap and simple. maybe what your looking for.

T

I also use a 19 cubic foot pony. The existing set up is the LGS Rescue Gear set up. It mounts over the main tank valve to set the height and then i run my 2 cam straps through the set up. I just dont like how floppy it seems. I was looking for something more stable. I will check out the Dive Rite set up and see what happens. Thanks.

I was wondering the same thing. I wanted to mount a pony directly to the BC (13 or 19). I looked at BP/W (as this idea will not work with my current jacket style BC) and I see that on some there are several holes on the sides of the backplate. It looked to me that you could mount the pony there but I don't know if it would interfer with anything or be too uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom