Instructor molested me on first dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO you should write a letter to the dive shop and to the certification agency this person works for. It very well could be that this person had no 'strange' intention but simply lacks any cooth. I can't understand that but hey, just cuz I can't see it don't mean it can't be so.

regardless anytime someone perceives something like this it is because someone did something that, though it may not have been intended, still left that impression. He needs to learn to avoid EVEN the appearance of impropriety.
If you do nothing and this guys a freakazoid you leave him to do this to someone else without at least an attempt to stop it.
Or if he's just a goober he may believe that he helped you over come your fears a bit. He should know how you feel, and if you truly feel violated his shop and training agency should know this also.
If it was just a goofy attempt at calming you, he needs to know that his way of doing so is a bit 'off center' and causes people to be uncomfortable.

i'm glad it didn't turn you off to diving completely.

Are you a sane person? Would you be ok with this with either your wife/girlfriend/mom/daughter???? Get real, you are just as bad.

Do a favor to everyone; please report it. You can prevent it to happen to anybody else.

Those persons belong to the jail.

Yeah, please do. Don't be discouraged because this man was TOTALLY OUT OF LINE! I'm sure he knew he was too which is the sick part. It helps asking people on this forum for support but the support is to help you act/react to the situation. So please report this man. We all agree that he is doing no good and I know that as a knew diver I would DEFINITELY NOT want anyone like this "helping" me feel "comfortable" in this manner nor anything even remotely close to what he did. Please know that we are all here to back you up but it will only help the rest of his "clients" from the same, terrible experience he put you through if you report him. And to be honest, you do not need to keep the shop's name a secret. You certainly have justifiable reasons for not liking something and your experience is not one that the company would like to be associated with. If they knew that this happened I'm sure they would take action immediately (firing the DM) and following that, PADI would be of much help as well. People have already said that PADI is pretty good with this sort of thing. I hope you're feeling okay about this, especially now that you have so much support behind you :). Please don't let this ruin your perspective on diving! It's not like that!

I am aware of two incidents involving behavior involving sexual misconduct.

One occurred in Aruba a few years ago. The store can no longer represent itself as a PADI facility nor as offering PADI courses.

The other occured at a PADI LDS. This individual was expelled.

PADI takes these types of incidents seriously, but is limited in its power as a scuba certifying versus law enforcement organization.

At least this serves as a warning to other divers. If its a PADI related facility, you know that there is an ongoing effort to police this type of inappropriate activity.

Hopefully other certifying agencies are as diligent in their efforts.

I too am very sorry to hear this happened. Good luck to the OP.
Post #6 did mention Mexico and I have heard of this happening more than once. You will probably get no where with the law enforcement agencies down there. Cabbies run over tourists and locals all the time in Coz and the Union buys them out of jail.
Please proceed through the agency. Taking away his income is a big punishment.
Get certified and dive with buddies you know. It's like dreaming with your eyes open.

Are you a sane person? Would you be ok with this with either your wife/girlfriend/mom/daughter???? Get real, you are just as bad.
huh???

Thought this thread died already....oh, it's a new one :)

An "accidental" knee to the nuts would've solved the problem ... :shocked: ... new divers do thrash around a lot, yanno ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not only is this guy taking advantage of a new diver in a confined situation, he is also endangering her life! Taking an inexperienced dive to 45 feet and feeling her up? This guy goes way beyond being a run-of the-mill sexual predator.

This makes my blood boil! Castration and a frontal lobotomy are too good.

Back
Top Bottom