Outer Banks Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I just passed my open water certification this weekend and am going to OBX next week on vacation. What are some good dive outfits in OBX and are there any good beginner dives? Thanks

Jeremy

Hi, I just passed my open water certification this weekend and am going to OBX next week on vacation. What are some good dive outfits in OBX and are there any good beginner dives?
Because of the shore length, the 'Outer Banks' as a destination can mean different things. If you are going to Nags Head (north end), you may want to consider Outer Banks Dive Center (www.obxdive.com). If you are going farther south - e.g. to Cape Hatteras area, you may wish to consider Outer Banks Diving (www.outerbanksdiving.com).

There are some wrecks shallow enough to be appropriate for beginner dives, although many of the most popular wrecks are a bit deeper (>100 ft) or colder (e.g. U-85 at 85 ft) than you would want. I would suggst you pose that question to one of the charter operators.

We dive the RV/GO Between with OBX Dive Center in Nags Head listed above by Colliam7. They also have guided beach dives and a fully loaded dive/rental shop. The crew and divemaster are some of the best we have had the pleasure to dive with. They run a very safe operation and pride themselves on teaching the history of the wrecks you will be diving. Do let them know that you are a newly certified diver as some trips are limited to AOW.

Outer Banks Diving

I really like the Cpt. John and the crew of the Flying Fish. I'd ask them about your experience.

I'd suggest getting as much diving under your belt as you can, but that may be hard to get done by next weekend.

If you go to one of the offshore wrecks, which are awesome, you're doing some deep diving. U-352 was like 112fsw to the sand. The Aeolos is like 90fsw to the decks where the sharks are. The Shurz was close to 100fsw at the boilers. The Dixie Arrow is in the 95-100fsw realm. I'm sure I butchered some of the spellings and I'm off by a couple of feet, but you get the point.

Depending upon when you go, I've had 82degree water at 112fsw and I can see the guys on the boat.

Good luck and have a good vacation!

If you are in the Nags Head area, Outer Banks Dive Center is a great dive operation. They run a first class operation. They have several sites that are conducive for a new diver.

If you go to Hatteras, it's Outer Banks Diving.

Keep in mind that the diving in both locations can be challenging. Currents, surge, limited visibility, and a definite thermocline. Plus weather conditions are such that the chances of the boat not going out is always a factor caused by rough seas due to the wind. (You'll learn why Orville & Wilbur chose the Outer Banks to fly.)

However, the wreck diving and the abundance of critters on the wrecks makes the diving worthwhile.

Are you comfortable on boats? Conditions off North Carolina can vary greatly. Check marine forecasts and check with the dive shops. Everything is about diving is harder when 5-6 foot seas are moving the boat up and down.

The smoother the seas, the easier your first trip out there will be. If you can keep a flexible schedule to dive a smooth day, good for you.

I would not recommend NC for a total newbie who just got his C-card. Get at least 25 easy dives somewhere in Florida-Bahamas-Carribean, then go for NC but only if you find an experienced buddy who will keep his eye on you. If you still decide to go, at least take a quarter dramamine before you hit the boat.

North carolina diving isnt recomended for a biginner dive which is just what you are at this opoint may I suggest you get more dives under your belt then be ready for 3-6 ft sea's with a current , ask your question in this section you be told same thing, I see it weekday and weekend then the new diver complains about being sea sick or wow that was strong current ect ect.
NC Wreck Divers - ScubaBoard

My wife attempted some dives with me in NC when she was a beginner diver. It was NOT a good experience for her. 5-8 foot swells, she's puking like crazy. Thanks to that experience she wont dive NC with me anymore. Grrrr.

nice heads up on NC diving thanks

Back
Top Bottom