Bonaire Shore Diving fin options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uniqueimaging:
I'm not trying to undermine your point of view, just trying to understand the conditions as best as I can.

It's that few seconds that your foot is unprotected that a wave crashes into you and you instinctively put your foot down to keep yourself from doing a face plant. If you must, I'd recommend wading out with your water shoes and bc inflated and wait to make the change to you fins in deep water. As much as you may not like booties and open heel fins, personally I would find a pair of water shoes clipped off on my BC while I dive much more inconvenient and cumbersome much less the hassle of the entries and exits.

Good luck finding a solution but in Bonaire, you really only have one choice if you want to shore dive.

I ended up ordering some Tusa warm water booties with heavy duty soles, along with some mares superchannel fins.

I figure, better safe than sorry. And I'll get plenty of years of use from them.

A wise choice :wink:

I would not dive there, boat or shore without my boots and openheel fins. I also wear cotton socks to protect from blisters.

As someone that likes the closed heel, it would be interesting to hear your impressions after your trip. Make sure you post your thoughts. There will be many people with the same question.

Have fun.

Man, I have dove Bonaire many, many times and I personally would not even consider diving there without hard soled boots or booties. Besides the obvious that most have already elaborated on are the urchins lurking in the holes at many of the entrances and exits. Now, I know that their spines can puncture the bottoms and even more likely the sides of your boots, but hey, I would take all the protection I can get.

My 2psi on spring straps.....get them.

Go to scubatoys and check out their closeouts, they always have smokin deals on stuff.

I believe that international travel still qualifies you for a Fifty (50) pound bag. Not to mention a carry on bag and a personal item....work the system

A wise choice :wink:

I would not dive there, boat or shore without my boots and openheel fins. I also wear cotton socks to protect from blisters.

As someone that likes the closed heel, it would be interesting to hear your impressions after your trip. Make sure you post your thoughts. There will be many people with the same question.

Have fun.

I do the sock thingy also.

We use Quattros with spring straps, ideal for shore diving as they are so easy to put on. The DM's at Don's on the boats tend to use full foot fins as that what was available. Last time we were there open heel fins were not available for hire.

Having shoes flapping around on a dive would drive me nuts, could you leave them with a weight as an exit marker (on a sand patch) if full foot fin is your choice?

Having shoes flapping around on a dive would drive me nuts, could you leave them with a weight as an exit marker (on a sand patch) if full foot fin is your choice?

Even placing them on a sand patch is against Marine Park regulations so I would not suggest that as an option.

I have dove open heel fins before, I just prefer my full foot fins. I find them more powerful, lighter, and just overall more comfortable.

BonaireDiver, like I said before. I tried spring straps, and hated them. I didn't like the constant tension on my heels.

Also, we are flying on a short jump flight from aruba, which is the flight with the 40lb weight limit. We are probably going to just pack a third bag between us, and pay the fee. I think the third bag fee is actually less than the overweight fee anyways.

I'll probably just end up bringing both sets of fins, and use my full foots every morning on the boat, and the boots and open heels on the shore dives.

Might be worth your while to rent the full foot fins at Captain Don's.

Even placing them on a sand patch is against Marine Park regulations so I would not suggest that as an option.

The only rule I can see is under rule 9

To remove anything from the bottom or put anything on the bottom of the BNMP.

Does this mean temporary items like strobes and entry markers which are removed at the end of the dive. I have often seen the DM's mark an entry point with a bottle and a weight placed sensibly in the sand. Maybe adding a bottle (float) would make it clear that it would be collected and not treated as trash by other divers.

Renting may make sense, $2.50 per day and 15% discount for 5 days. So just over $10 which may be less than the excess baggage charge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom