Photoshop Techniques Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all, I just started using photoshop CS4. I was previously using Elements. How are you guys editing your images as in what option do you go to first? Shadows? Thanks for your help. This is an awesome program!

My first option? "Image>Duplicate"! Especially so if you are editing jpegs but any file really. I would also advise using Adjustment Layers rather than actually altering the image pixels. Much faster adjusting big files this way if you aren't running a hyped up computer and you can always cancel, edit etc w/out affecting the actual image pixels. Everyone has their own preference on procedures but I tend to start w/ a Curves adjustment layer and see what needs happening from there.

For difficult color balances (it happens) I am partial to using a Channel Mixer adjustment layer when simple Color Balancing doesn't solve everything. What else, oh save as a PSD file, at least as sort of a master file for important work. That way your Layers are saved, you don't run into re-compression loss each time you do an edit (which happens w/ jpegs) and you can always make dupes to save as smaller jpegs for posting, emails etc.

I'm only running CS not CS4 so I'm sure there are plenty of other cool things those Adobe phreaks have added but ideally you want flexibility w/out messing things up permanently. Some of the preceeding should help avoid that. // ww

Thanks for the help. Nice first post. I've got a lot to learn from this massive program.

Right, thanks. Just a lucky first timer I guess... but I'd have to agree w/ you on the rest of it. Uh, I mean that it is a massive program of course. :eyebrow:

Oh, a stress & labor saving tip. If you don't use adjustment layers and make a change that is "too much", stop right after making it and pull down Edit in the Menu choices. Up near the top of the heap is a selection called "Fade...(whatever you just did)". You'll then get a slider to re-adjust that change and see if less of it would work. Once you make another move you lose the option but rather than just undoing it you can at least readjust it, which can be very helpful at times. (Note: This doesn't work for Adjustment Layers, since you haven't really changed any pixels but you can adjust those any time w/ an Opacity Change.) // ww

Step 1.

Creat duplicate layer.

Apply strong noise filter (dust and scratches).

Creat history state and go back to the duplicate layer.

Use history brush (set for 'darken') to remove any backscatter.

Step 2.

Create duplicate layer.

I process the photo using Picturecode 'Noise Ninja' and/or Focus Magic ('Out of Focus Blue')

Step 3.

Create New Layer - Channel Mixer.

In the red channel, drag up the green slider and reduce the blue slider until the image looks pleasing.

Step 4.

Create new layer - Levels

Either Auto-Levels, or manual adjustment of each color level, until you are happy.

Step 5.

Create new layer - Hue and Saturation

Go to saturation and manually tweek each color channel for the best effect.

You can then opt to apply the saturation level by MULTIPLY. This makes the image very dark, but also very rich. Control the darkness by using the opacity slider.

I like to use the auto color adjustment, and if that doesn't do what I want, I'll tweak it. But it usually does a very nice job.

My workflow is:
1. Make a copy of the original raw file (original is stored, backed up and duplicated on DVD)
2. Open raw file, crop if necessary (I crop to golden ratio)
3. Adjust levels if necessary
4. Adjust hue/saturation (usually minus 4 or so on hue, boost saturation a bit)
5. Save edited file as dng or jpeg 2000 (both lossless)
6. Resize for printing
7. Any sharpening or dust removal at this stage

Bill

Very useful tutorials Devon, thanks!

I don't have a standard process besides creating the copy of the original file. Usually I try the auto-level tools and if they don't work well, depending on the photo I adjust hue-saturation and curves.
If I want to print, I resize the photo after the general color is ok. After that I pulish the dust details.

Oh, and all this with CS3... I hope to try CS4 soon :)

And last thing, just mention the "Quick selection tool" as an alternative to the "magic wand"... it's new in CS3 (I bet it's included in CS4 also) and selection is soooooo much easier!

Enjoy the Photoshop universe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom