Lake Michigan dive sites / charters near Whitehall / Montague

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthSideScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We will be in the above area for a long weekend in August, staying with non-diving friends, and I was wondering what the closest dive sites (shore or boat – we have access to a 30’ boat) are &/or where the nearest dive charter operations are located??

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Also, about 200 yards to the north, and about a 1/4 mild towards shore of the State of Michigan, there is another bouy for the "clay wall" that some of us have turned into our own personal play ground. got a couple "toys" down there.

MonkeyBiz, Have you dove the State latly? whats the temp? is it bouyed?
I have heard of the clay wall dive site. Can you give us a good description of the dive. How high is the wall? how long is it? does it go north and south? is it verticle or a slope? how deep? any currents? Can I tie up on the bouy or do I need to drop my own ancor? I am really interested in diving the clay wall this weekend, it may be a good second dive after the state.

All Bouyies were supplied and placed by the West Michigan Underwater preserve

Dove the State about 3 weeks ago, it is Approx 2 miles northwest of Whitehall 65 - 70 foot of water, it is a 165' wooden passenger freight steamer. yes it is bouyed, blue and white ball) and you can tie of to it.... Don't want to risk throwing an anchor onto the wreck. it if you decent that mouring line it will bring you right down on the boiler. Bottem temp was 41 I believe, viz was 50+
GPS location
N 43 23.336
W 86 27.851
stateofmichigan.jpg

YouTube - Shipwreck - "STATE OF MICHIGAN" part1

Clay wall 1/2 mile NW of the Whitehall Channel 50'. Wall kind of runs SE to NW if I remeber right, varinging in shear wall height of 1 - 8/9 foot. that also is bouyed.It has a small white cone with orange stripes. Please don't throw anchor, we have "stuff" there. enjoy it, the stuff is there for fun. please leave it. :D
Naturally occuring clay wall
GPS coordinates
N 43 23.196
W 86 27.025
clay_wall.jpg

YouTube - Diving the Clay Wall

Back
Top Bottom