DIN O-Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L_A_S

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does the average "save a dive" O-ring kit include DIN-specific ones? My last one didn't because it was a small box of them, but neither ST nor LP et al mention in their product descriptions whethere they're included. Anyone know of a DIN-specific o-ring kit and where to get it?

Thanks, Luke

It's a -112 O-ring, buy a bunch in viton for Nitrox, or 70 durometer buna rubber for regular compressed air. You can go on the web and get a pack of 50 for like 6 bucks or pay 5 bucks for like two of them at most dive shops. It is important to note that this is not "Din specific" as a -112 o-ring also fits most plastic dustcaps, several types of tank valves, and numerous other things.

Cheers and beers.

What kind of reg are you using? We can NOT help with out that info.

Save-a-dive kits are too generic...make your own kit....get model specific parts..Fin/Mask straps/buckles, extra plugs ..for your specific first stage model (both HP and LP) the right size o-ring is on the plug...and as for your DIN connection..get some 112's (are there "ANY" out there that use any other size?...for DIN?..) and store your plugs/o-rings in a tub of silicone grease (the silicone keeps the rings fresh) And of course, IF, you use a higher than 40% mix...you'ld know not to use silicone and have only "Viton" rings..Be a good idea to get a Din Adaptor..for the day when you have to use a "Yoke"..I just keep it on my reg..it protects the threads... (and add whatever you just can't do without..socks..mask buff, extra pencil for a slate..extra O-ring for your light/camera(model specfic) add a small adjustabe wrench and don't forget the allen's that fit the plugs...
m2cnts

Yes there is other sizes ScubaPro uses 111 for there din and as for silicone grease That is a (NO) it is out dated in MY book. You should use chrisolube only. I would not want to here that you had a fire becuase of silicone grease. Its just out dated. Again this is my 2 cent.

get some 112's (are there "ANY" out there that use any other size?...for DIN?..) and store your plugs/o-rings in a tub of silicone grease (the silicone keeps the rings fresh)

I would not lubricate DIN or yoke valve o-rings. There's no need for it and it can increase the chance of extrusion, especially with yoke valves.

There's no evidence that I'm aware of that storing o-rings coated with grease extends their useful life. I'd keep them in a sealed bag, though.

From oringusa:
ARP 5316 Elastomer Shelf Life Recommendation

The Society of Aerospace Engineers (SAE) issued Aerospace Recommended Practice (ARP) 5316 was issued in 1998 to supersede MIL-HDBK-695C (canceled) as the aerospace industry standard. ARP 5316 is often used as a guideline in determining useful shelf life of elastomers used in other industries.
* 5 years: Polyurethane (millable)
* 15 years: Nitrile, Neoprene, SBR, HNBR, Polyacrylate
* Unlimited: Ethylene Propylene [EPDM], Fluorocarbon [Viton], Perfluorinated Elastomer, Butyl, Silicone, Tetrafluoroethylene Propylene (Aflas®), Fluorosilicone.

I also called my o-ring supplier (for my DIY projects), AOPTec and they said just keeping them in a baggie or a slide drawer organizer for parts and the such would be adequate for general storage. In this way the parts are exposed to various temperatures, humidity, some UV and they last for the above, so putting them in a baggie or box for take along will not harm them either.

Next, my Apeks DIN uses the 111 o-ring. I have 110 and 112 for other people that have a DIN fitting that may not be my flavor of 111. You never know when you might be able to help.

And finally, as others have expressed- no lube on these o-rings.

thanks guys. i have a zeagle 50d and just want to make sure my spare parts kit is sufficient.

Zeagle 50D uses the 111 o-ring. At least mine (pre 2001) does, and I'm almost positive the post-2001 models do, too.

got me an answer direct from the source. very impressed with their customer service.

Hello Luke,

Your ZX 50-D uses a 90 durometer 111 O-ring on the inlet of the DIN bolt. Your Zeagle Dealer will have them in stock if he services Zeagle regulators there, because every 345-1000 1st stage service kit contains a 111 O-ring that is only used if the regulator is a DIN model. Since most regs are Yoke models, your Zeagle Service Center will have a surplus of 111s available. If not, anyplace that sells O-rings will know what you are after if you ask for a 90 Durometer Buna or Urethane 111 O-ring. (Urethane is a little tougher but more expensive).

Best Regards,

Jim Fox / Zeagle Systems, Inc.

Back
Top Bottom