Sarangani Shark Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That coal plant is a catch 22 as it will provide economic growth to better the lives of these fisherman. Their kids will have alternate career choices so that they have the option to no longer choose a profession that involves directly catching sharks and taking "the easy way out".

The same could be said about the war in Iraq, look at all the people who got employed and all the jobs it made!!!:shakehead: But at what cost in the long term?

Coal is a fuel of the past, and for a world where we are supposedly in the midst of a global warming crisis, burning coal makes about as much sense as smoking a bucket of Shabu:shocked2:

If sea levels do begin to rise, even a little bit due to global warming, the Philippines is going to take the brunt of it!

jr.dm, interesting... About all the mining planned for the area, any chance mainland Chinese money is behind all this given their hunger for natural resources?

I do not think that Chinese money in into this type of project yet but it could be later in the future! The Coal Plant People have just taken the DENR Bosses, Reporters and others to Thailand to view Coal Fired Power Stations there, this is a bit strange as the ECC has been approved so why should the DENR go on such a trip!
Me and JR DM were invited but declined the offer!

Pakman, the mainland chinese are all over the place, but they hide behind the coconut trees. You are right they want and need the raw materials. They are trying to do some direct investments but even not, they will be the main market for the raw materials. So even if they do not directly invest in the mines, their money will be the fuel by providing the market. Last year their money was used to expanded the Gensan fishport.

I would like to see a little more outrage gang on the use of dolphins for the shark bait.

OK Chip 104, I will try my best. Here in Southern Mindanao we already have enough electricity to take care of the area's needs now and in the near future. Additional capacity that will be needed for the area can be developed by using renewables. Wind is very feaseable here along the coast and in higher elevation. Sarangani Bay forms a fantastic funnel that the wind increases as it enters and flows up into the bay. Although the big "power" experts will say its not enough. It is not enough for what they want. That is electricy for the big mining projects they want to do over the next few years. Wind capacity is good for the area's residents needs and for the small and medium industries. Solar at present maybe too costly for most applications. However, I am sure over the next 5 years or so, that new solar technology will come on line and make it more cost effective. Let me tell you. the sun sure does shine here alot.

If the "big boys" have their way, there will be a coal fired power plant that they have declared in the past, that they want to build up to 900 MW capacity. That would make it one of if not the biggest in the PI. This is proposed to be built addjacent to the best reef in Southern Mindanao. There would also be coal mining inthe nearby mountains. Also a big copper and gold mine are planned in the area. Limestone and nickel mines are also on the board for starting and expansion. All open pit mines are these.

To make a long story short, this so called "development" will degrade the area and make the average and below average people worse off in the long term. Of course all of this "development" is proposed and owned by the polically conected people along with the foriegn partnerns.

I hope this makes it clearer for you. Thank you for your interest. You can help us down here by helping to get the word out.
Thanks for this, John. A lot of us here on this forum have just been sick of the broad eye-catching statements with no real explanation of the actual issues.

Actually taking the time to disseminate the facts goes a long way to help the cause. Much appreciated.

The same could be said about the war in Iraq, look at all the people who got employed and all the jobs it made!!!:shakehead: But at what cost in the long term?

Coal is a fuel of the past, and for a world where we are supposedly in the midst of a global warming crisis, burning coal makes about as much sense as smoking a bucket of Shabu:shocked2:

If sea levels do begin to rise, even a little bit due to global warming, the Philippines is going to take the brunt of it!
Fair enough, if you'd like to make a general comparison of a development project to an international war, sure.

I think a more fair comparison would be to look at Batangas and see how they are developing industrial and commercial sectors as well as continuing to develop their environmental and tourism sectors.

I do agree with your coal power statement.

I might have taken that analogy too far, but you know what I'm trying to say, it just seems that in this day and age using money and resources to build a coal power plant is like a step back time in time, I was there last week to see exactly where it was going to go and its pretty much on top of the marine reserve there. What an example a company would set now buy scrapping their plans for coal and putting in solar panels and wind turbines, but of course, like everything in life it all comes down to money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom