Split fins v paddle fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read on the Internet that you'd die if you use split fins.

Which is the absolute truth.. it is also true for paddle fins... or just being alive.

I have several pair of each type and a pair of flip fins... my take is:

1. Fastest - the really soft split fins... they don't "seem" like they are doing that much, but have a stop watch and do laps and nothing is close.

2. Best in current - see above (but don't expect to "feel" like they are doing that).

3. Best for a frog kick - paddle, if you are just going slow. Splits can do a very fast frog, but it takes a very fast stroke.

4. Efficiency (lower air usage for the same distance and speed )- No question it is the soft split fins.. second place is not close.

5. Middle path (following the teachings of Budha) - stiffer split fins... not as efficient, but do an ok frog or any other kick.

As the soft split fins work best with a single type of kick (very different from the stiff paddle fin kick)... and they use the big leg muscles.. they are the choice for efficiency and covering a large distance.

But, if you dive every day, or for very long times, and want to used different kicks to rest parts of your legs.. then paddle is the way to go.

If you ride a bicycle.. splits are great (similar motion)... if you have strong ankles.. paddles are fine.

Hummm.. guess that is why I own both.

I started out with paddle fins, Mares Avanti Tris. I thought they were good fins, until I started to get leg cramps. I switched to Atomic splits and the cramps went away, although there were advantages to the paddles. Then one day I had the opportunity to try Force Fin Pros. Better than both the the paddles and the splits. Now my Atomics are for sale, size XL with springs if you are interested. Otherwise, try the Force Fins.

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

I do it all the time.
dave_greatescape1.jpg

i use both fins i like split fins for recreational diving and for diving in a more relaxed effortless day. if i am doing wreck penatration or drysuit diving i perfer paddle fins and the frog kick both fins have their uses so it depends on where and what type of diving you are doin

it depends on your style, and preference, borrow a pair from a buddy. see that they are like before you spend the money

and there are always new ones coming out on the market all the time. look into these as they are usually decent, read some reviews. ect.
good luck buddy,

I own Oceanic V-12 splits and also Hollis F1 paddles. Each has their own usages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom