Wed. Fish ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The colorful guy likes to fly over the reef with a squadron of his freinds....who is he?

I am guessing some variety of Wrasse, possibly a two tone?
or maybe a fairy basslett?

Still looking for the perfect match

The rare & elusive Scarlett O'Aero Flying Fish?

I just crack myself up!

ID

I do believe my buddy Syruss is correct. Looks like a Creole Wrasse to me.

Description: 4-7in, max 1ft. 30-80 depth range

Prefers deep, outer reefs, especially the edges of drops-offs. Swim constantly, often in open water above reefs, in small groups to large schools. Commonly form long streaming schools along drop-offs in late afternoon.

Virtually ignore divers

from Reef Fish Identification by Paul Humann

Creole Wrasse Paul Humann’s Fish ID (2nd Edition), page 193
Clepticus parrae

Family: Wrasse - Labridae
Size: 4 –7 in., max 1 ft.
Depth: 30 – 80 ft.

Distinctive Features: TP & IP Dark purple to violet or lavender. 1. Snout usually dark purple. TP: 2. Older individuals develop yellow to reddish areas on lower rear body. JP: 3. Series of spots or short bands along back composed of dark and light dots.

Description: Upper body often darker. Does not have the dramatic color phases of other wrasse; younger, sexually mature TP are identical in appearance to IP.

Abundance & Distribution: Abundant Caribbean; common Florida and Bahamas; also north to North Carolina; Bermuda and Gulf of Mexico.

Habitat & Behavior: Prefer deep, outer reefs, especially the edges of drop offs. Swim constantly, often in open water above reefs, in small groups to large schools. Commonly form long streaming schools along drop-offs in late afternoon.

Reaction to Divers: Virtually ignore divers.

Yup, you got yourself a Creole wrasse there alright. They can have a got bit of variation in the splotch pattern, but yours are classic. Wish more of my pics would come out that good. Guess I'll keep reading the photo tips.

Everybody gets to use a book. That makes it just about as hard a voting in Florida!

As ID ducks under his desk, awaiting the barage of flames coming his way.

just because you didn't think of using one....

Originally posted by Iguana Don
Everybody gets to use a book. That makes it just about as hard a voting in Florida!....

Well...one reason for the quiz is to help you learn to identify the fish without the book! And if you do have the book, the more times you look it up, the better you remember it!

Hello,

Well would like some more info about the location of this pic, time of the year, etc..

Ed

Back
Top Bottom