Ever lost your computer the MIDDLE of a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, I was on an extended deco when the battery on my computer went out. The instruction manual said that even when the remaining battery life read 0% there was still enough juice left to function. Well, it went out with the remaining battery life reading 37% if I remember correctly.

Now I dive with two different computers on my wrist at all times. Not going to risk another deco based on guesswork.

Lots of good advice here, so I'll go a step further and present my "Oh ***** Plan."

For whatever reason, everything listed above has failed, your computer, your timer, analog gauges, etc. What then...

My bubbles tell me my ascent rate... I move slowly towards the surface, making one minute guess stops if deep, until I reach what I feel is 20 feet. Breathe the rest of your available gas then surface. There's really no more you can do once out of gas.

This is definately not the desirered route, but assuming you're physically OK, this is using all you've got...

Now, doesn't redundancy sound more appealing? :wink:

Yep, that settles it. Backup computer it is. I've been highly suspicious of air integrated (simply because I work with wireless network equipment all the time and know how often it just "quits" or something interfers with the signal and connectivity is lost). Now I'm completely
convinced that if I ever got an AI Setup, I'd still keep an analog air guage.

I sent a note to the ScubaPro folks (I just happen to have contacts from the first time I had to send it back to ScubaPro... I discovered, while searching for non-minature compass for my console, that my computer had been recalled 2 years before I purchased it... :shocked2:), they think they can sell me a refurb wrist unit of the same (now discontinued) type I have.... I'll keep you posted on that one.

As far as "what happened"...that's a good question. The computer was replaced in May of 2007. I've logged 125++ dives on it, my battery was at 87% (and I am meticulous in care and maintenance of my gear). My first dive was 15 minutes with a max depth of 39'. I tied a lift bag onto a mooring chain, inflated it with my Air2, followed it up (too quickly at first)...slowed down, made a gradual assent, allowing the bag to breach before me (and giving the surface folks a head start on connecting the mooring ball).

Dive 2: total dive time was 20 minutes; the computer was working on the descent. I located the chain and 2nd anchor, started unwinding the chain, checked my computer and "E 6". I don't know if it beeped when it failed, I can't hear it with my hood on. According to the manual, E6 is a "calibration error". According to the guys at the shop, that computer runs through a series of self checks periodically, in my case it checked itself and the numbers didn't match, so it switched to a "i'm not going to play any more" safety mode... I can't imagine anything I would have done to force it into that state... maybe it wants to be back in the warm Texas water...

If you are diving within your comfort level and within your experience level, a computer failure should not be a dangerous problem for no-deco, recreational dives. You should know your depth/ time limits before the dive and you should also be able to roughly relate these parameters to your remaining air and also your deco status.

The computer should be used as a guide and a sanity check, not as a crutch that will cause you to die, should it fail.

I would not rely upon a wireless air integrated computer, because air supply is too important. I carry one none-integrated computer and a G-shock watch which should allow me to arrive safely at the surface.

I think a redundant computer is somewhat of an unnecessary luxury, but if someone wants to take a back up, who cares? Hopefully the diver has first purchased other safety gear which will have much more utility than an extra computer.

I had an oceanic reset dive time and depth to 0... depth stayed 0, time started again. Very weird. We did not end the dive b/c not air integrated computer & had my watch tracking my dive time as backup. Buddy had two timers going as well.

I took that oceanic back since it was brand new and picked up a uwatec prime that works well, but I may be getting an AI hoseless l if I can justify it to myself heh. I will still use my watch as a 2nd timing device either way.

I agree that a 2nd computer is a bit much for recreational diving. A small SPG and a decent watch is plenty good enough for backup, IMO.

Yeowza... I had a sobering experience yesterday...

I was working on some mooring chains for a friend here in the great frozen north yesterday. I was on my second dive, 45' of 58 degree water (below 2 thermoclines) detangling a chain from one of two mushroom anchors.

I flip over to my compter (UWATEC SmartCom; not air integrated) to pick up the particulars of my dive...and what does it say? "E 6". No depth, no time, no temp, not even a "how ya do'n?", nothing...

Fortunately I also keep track of dive time with my watch, so I had a clue there, although I forgot to reset the time between my first ascent and my second decent. :rolleyes: ... so I estimated my surface time, finished my mission, estimated my safety stop depth, and then made my ascent to the surface.

So... after droping my computer off at my local scuba shop to return to ScubaPro, I bought a backup depth gauge that I'm going to keep in my vest from now on. I remember "discussions" about failing computers...but really, what are the ODDS in that happening!? :shocked2: ... OK, I get it... NOW.

This begs the question... how many of you have a backup computer, or at least backup analog gauges?

I'm seriously considering purchasing a backup computer; am I crazy?

Frank/Alan... you guys do some fairly agressive diving and have an impressive redudant breathing setup; do you also carry backup depth/time devices?
I dont have a backup computer, however I have had my computer die during a dive and it wasnt entierly unexpected as I knew the water was cold and battery level was low. I knew my approx depth and dive time when the computer failed and I had an analog SPG so it wasnt too much of a hassle. Not going deeper than I currently was would mean id run out of air before reaching the NDL anyways, but I didnt go on with the dive for very long.
It was actually a great learning experience as to "what do I know and how do I handle it if my computer fail and I dont have a backup". I will with time get a new computer that has altitude and freshwater settings since I do a fair bit of freshwater diving and Im living at the border of altitude dives anyways, and then Ill use the current one as my backup.

My primary is AI so I definitely wanted a backup. I keep my backup on my right which is really convenient since I can see it while I'm holding the camera. I've got to look at my primary for psi but want to see it when dumping so it is on the left. (Also, it does not like to be near my HID light in my right hand at night.)
As to which one I go by...which ever one tells me the least NDL...which is generally my primary. Backups are nice but I've had mine fail leaving me with just a primary (no harm, no foul?).

Battery voltage drops when the battery chills. I've seen computers go right through the low battery warning to blank as they cooled down. Using a computer in cold water calls for fresh batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom