Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many divers in your group? If there's at least 4 of y'all i'de strongly recommend against booking directly through the cruise ship. You'll have alot better experience with a private boat. The cruise outfit will definitely be an over crowded cattle boat.

In Cozumel contact http://www.divewithcristina.com/cristina.asp She runs the best boat in Cozumel.

In Grand Cayman Grand Cayman diving for small groups and families, Absolute Divers and be sure and let Mark know if you need a guide. Its all wall diving so you cant get lost, but you can get yourself in depth trouble real easy if you dont have top notch bouyancy control. If there's any doubt, be sure and arange a guide.

You might want to try Aqua Safari in Cozumel. Its $65 for a two tank dive. They also have an afternoon dive, I think it is around $35-$40. They are located downtown very close to the ferry pier. We have been going there for the last three years and always dive with them.

ok thanks. The aqua safari sounds really good especially for that price. Not sure what time the ship will be leaving cozumel. I have always been told that if you book the dive through the cruise ship, if the dive boat were to break down then the cruise ship would wait on you. I like having that piece of mind of security. What does everyone wear as far as a wetsuit goes? Do you use a 3mm or would I be fine without some type of suit?

Cozumel, for sure, if time permits. Find out when the boat arrives and departs, and then email the local dive ops to see if they can handle you. I have been to Coz many times, usually for a week like last month at Scuba Club Cozumel. I have also dived twice off of cruise ships there. One time the ship's dive op canceled at the last minute, leaving 8 of us stranded on the pier. We marched into town and found an operator who took us, but it wasn't the best situation. You can avoid cattle car dive boats by lining up your own operator. Just make sure that they know when you must be back at the boat. I'd give it at least on hour. If the boat is scheduled to depart Coz at 5PM, tell the outside dive operator you need to be back on board by 4PM. I have never had a problem on a half dozen cruises doing it this way. You can line up better operators and better diving for less money. Good luck!

A 3mm full suit might be a bit toasty, depending on your tolerance. The water temp is likely to be around 82 degs. I dove there for a week in mid-June in a 1 mm full suit and was fine.
I think that all of the dive ops rent 3mm shorties.

ok I will try to look up a few dive ops there locally. Our boat arrives at 10 am and leaves at 7pm. According to the cruise website, the dive would start at 12:30. Maybe I could find a local dive op that leaves out around 10:30 or 11. Anyways, thanks for all the help. Michael

Looks like I'm on my own in the opinion that Grand Cayman has way better diving than Cozumel. I've done both, and Grand Cayman was my favourite, hands down. Not even a competition! :D

Go cozumel if it's safe on shore!

Yeah. I think I will do cozumel. I am thinking of "Diving with Cristina". According to her website, you would have to take a taxi to get there, but apparently its not a long ride. I am a little nervous about doing that, since I never have in the past. Anyone else had any trouble with taking taxi's in places like that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom