Holy Crap, my booties stink!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was fun to dive with you!:D

I rinse all my boots with water and dry it in the sun. It has worked well for me. I also turn my wetsuit inside out, rinse and dry it in sun.

It was fun to dive with you!:D

I rinse all my boots with water and dry it in the sun. It has worked well for me. I also turn my wetsuit inside out, rinse and dry it in sun.

Ditto! You are such a sweetheart! It was nice to meet you.

Embrace that funk. It will make you stronger!
But really don't throw them in the dryer unless you know an infant that needs booties. I use Woolite (sp?) on a short cold cycle and then dry them in the sun. It always works.

For those of you drying your boots in the sun, doesn't the UV speed up their degredation?

Given the fact that my neighbor's dogs cowered away and buried their noses in their paws, I'm thinking a little degradation is a good trade off to the smell . . of course, I'm not particularly fond of my neighbor's dogs, so it is a tough decision for me.

:blinking:

Hi BettyRubble:

I can empathize with the stinky neoprene as I dive most exclusively in the ocean, drive home takes about 2 hours, and then by the time I get home, cleaning gear is pretty low on the totem pole. So the next day (or maybe the day after) I get around to cleaning my gear and it is super funky!

I use a 100 gallon watering bucket for livestock, it's Rubbermaid and you can pick them up at a local Agricultural supply or Tractor Supply Company, usually for less than 100 USD. I fill it with fresh water and then clean my gear a piece at a time by agitation and rinsing and using no cleaners. I toss everything in the tub to soak (regulator with tank included) while waiting to be cleaned.

Afterwards, I hang everything that is hang-able on my gear hanger. The UK hangars work wonderfully, and even in shade offer warmth and ventilation necessary for non-stinky drying. You can make a gear hanger for cheap and if you don't have a garage or shaded front porch, you can just put the rack in your bathtub! Within a day all of your gear will be clean, dry, odor free, and sparkling clean- ok maybe not sparkling but you get the idea.

I hope this helps and good luck.

With kindest regards,
Thomas

Hi BettyRubble: . . . you can just put the rack in your bathtub! Within a day all of your gear will be clean, dry, and sparkling clean- ok maybe not sparkling but you get the idea. I hope this helps and good luck.

With kindest regards,
Thomas

Thanks Thomas! I've washed the gear out using a combo of soap and baking soda. I have rigged up a sort of rack in my shower with a fan blowing on it. We'll see how it works out!

Back
Top Bottom