Billy Mays' last gig: advertising Mighty Tape to divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vrichardson

Registered
Reaction score
Billy Mays, RIP.

I saw an Examiner.com blog about his last informercial, soon to air, will show him pitching Mighty Tape as a way to secure air hoses. Any divers out there know whether it actually works?

'Billy Mays here!' even after death

July 10, 6:34 PM

When you've got a pitch as good as Billy Mays, death can't still your voice.
The bearded TV commercial pitchman who died of a heart attack June 28, "returns" in a new Mighty Tape commercial, the last he recorded for Media Enterprises, a marketing company based in Trevose, PA.
In the new commercial, he's seen, underwater, in scuba gear using the ultra sticky product to repair another scuba diver's air hose.
The commercial will begin airing July 20.
Mays' commercials were temporarily pulled after his death, but his pitches for other products in the Mighty brand line returned to the air the week after July 4.
A one-hour documentary aired July 9 on the Discovery Channel as part of a 12-part series on the network called "Pitchmen."
"Our feeling is, everyone wants to have Billy go on," said Bill McAlister, president of Media Enterprises.
"This is what he would have wanted," he added.

Last edited:
I picked up a dozen rolls of this at the Chicago Our World Underwater Dive Show.

The stuff works as advertised. But at the OWU show, I paid $2 a roll. It was marketed under this name: http://www.rescuetape.com/

In the later years of his career , at least, Mays earned a reputation as someone that only pitched items that he had tried and determined worked. Not to say he didn't pitch cheap stuff but at least it would work.

OT, but that stuff seems suspiciously like ordinary splicing tape in colors.

OT, but that stuff seems suspiciously like ordinary splicing tape in colors.

I thought the same thing but he said it wasn't sticky.
So I'm guessing it like a thick plumber's tape, a little stretchy and clings to itself.

I thought the same thing but he said it wasn't sticky.
So I'm guessing it like a thick plumber's tape, a little stretchy and clings to itself.

It clings to almost anything- it sticks permanently to itself. I think it's got some silicone like plastic thing going on.

When you slice it off, it comes off in one solid piece, kid of like a cast.

My associates are looking at it as an adjunct to a "battlefield dressing", as in IBD http://www.striketactical.com/store/details.asp?id=80

I don't have cable so as far as I know I'd never seen this Mays fellow until last night when he appeared on a network station pitching some product. I was not impressed and don't see what all the fuss about his celebrity was.

It clings to almost anything- it sticks permanently to itself. I think it's got some silicone like plastic thing going on.

When you slice it off, it comes off in one solid piece, kid of like a cast.

My associates are looking at it as an adjunct to a "battlefield dressing", as in IBD Store | Law Enforcement Training by Strike Tactical Solutions

Israeli bandages are the shat . . . what are "your associates" looking to do to improve upon it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom