Hello World.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottri

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all. I've been lurking off and on for about a year and finally registerd yesterday. My name is Scott, I live in Beaverton Oregon and do most of my diving around here in the Northwest. I have my OW, AOW, Master Diver and Rescue cards through SSI for what it's worth. I've diving for about 3 years now and I have had the pleasure of diving in Oregon, Washington, California, New Zealand, The Caymans and Jamaica. I also volunteer as a diver for the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport Oregon.

I am an avid spearfisherman (flame away, it doesn't bother me).

If anyone has any questions about diving in the NW I would be happy to try and answer them.

Scott:jester:

welcome to yet another "lurker". you'll fit in just fine.... hehehe

so what do you do as a volunteer in the aquarium?

Welcome aboard. Now we know who has been stealing all the potato chips and beer. We knew we had a stowaway around here for some time.

But we always bring extra chips and beer, so no damage done. So where have you dove in your area?

I spent 7 years in southern Oregon and can think of lots of places I would like to have gone diving had I become a diver while I was there.

BTW: that aquarium is a cool place to visit if you are ever in the neighborhood. I got to visit while Keiko was still there!

Glad you finally made yourself known.

Chad

Hey DivingGal,

As a volunteer I mostly clean the tanks, feed the fish, animal checks and sometimes shart tending. It's really a lot of fun. There are 3 huge tanks that are connected by a clear tube that we have to clean. It's fun when there are people coming through. The divers are a bigger attraction than the fish. All three habitats are Northwest exhibits, one a tidal area, one a sand flat and the 3rd is a palegic tank with 6 and 7 gill sharks. But mostly I guess I should say I clean up fish poo.

Scott

eeewww
Originally posted by Scottri
....But mostly I guess I should say I clean up fish poo.

you had me real interested until that part. Actually I sort of guessed what you did. Las year I did a dive with a couple who did something similar in an aquarium in CA.

Welcome Scott!

I volunteer at Aquarena Springs here - and we wash windows & pull weeds - All the good jobs!

Can anybody "off the streets" come in a for a dip - or is it like it is here, that you have to pass a qualification test AND be ready & available when they have a need for help

Cheers

I too am from Oregon, just not from the soggy side like yourself. I live in the big city of Prineville. Hey, if you are good at cleaning up I have quite a few tumbleweeds starting to pile up in my driveway! LOL! Good to have another person from the most beautiful state in the country!

Later, Hawk.

from the SECOND LARGEST province in the SECOND LARGEST country in the world.............

Ontario, Canada...................................................

Hey all, thanks agian!

Sorry Hawk, can't do the tumbleweeds. I don't have that certification yet!

To answer the other question, you do have to go through a training program to dive at the aquarium, it was 6 weeks of;

Full face mask, underwater communications, species identification, habitat and all the equipment for cleaning the aquarium. Well worth it.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom