General equipment questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a while you won't notice water up the nose. It just clears the sinuses.

Most, if not all, masks are made with an inner and outer seal. I have yet to see one that doesn't have one, but I am young.

Check out the local shops and try them on.

I wouldn't worry too much about the brand, as others have said fit is the #1 concern. Secondary concerns are view angle (some masks offer wider fields of vision), skirt colour (most like clear since it lets in more light, but some photographers and others prefer black), purge valve (I like, others find pointless, others hate), and fogging (this is a tough one to know before buying).

As long as it's bought from a dive shop, it should be good quality (just don't go into Walmart to buy a mask). If you really want, see what your dive shop has and look online for reviews of that model (but if you spend their time trying on masks and everything, you should really buy it locally). Masks are one piece of gear I wouldn't recommend buying online: you need to try them on.

Masks are one piece of gear I wouldn't recommend buying online: you need to try them on.

+1, I buy most of my gear on-line, but becuase of the fit equation, a mask is not something I would.

My mask is a purge type from XS Scuba. I've used this for 1o years, and still works great. I prefer it over my non-purge.

fins make sure you get spring heels, makes life a whole lot easier, and a spare air just in case

fins make sure you get spring heels, makes life a whole lot easier, and a spare air just in case
And this thread is about to go off topic in 3 ... 2 .... 1 ..... :popcorn:

Seriously, he's just planning to snorkel for now, why get a spare air when there's no main air. * ignoring the fact that Spare Air should be bought by nobody:D*

Spring heels? Can I just use my old pogo stick??? LOL Just kidding, seriously--Thanks for all the great info. Great forum!! I most definitely will buy my mask from a shop, probably all my gear for now. I like supporting the mom and pop operations as much as possible and always find that if there is a problem, they do whatever they can to keep you happy and coming back. Those that dont, feed the internet more. Although money is money and sometimes I bargain shop the net, it's usually when I know exactly what I want and cant get it within 50 miles!!

Don

"spring heels" means steel spring straps on open-heel fins which make it easier to put them on. some fins come standard with them, others need their rubber strap replaced by them. very useful, but if you'll be using full-foot fins, you can ignore all of this.

+1 for mares x-vision. deep tear drop shaped lenses are the best, as is a very low volume (don't be fooled by the masks that supposedly improve vis with side windows. worthless.)

Well folks, I went with an Atomic Frameless, black. Pricey but it fit really good and I was impressed with the "view". I also liked the Oceanic Shadow alot. After running all over creation and trying on lots of masks, I eneded up at the shop that carried the Atomic's and bought one, as I would have had to run back to the other shop to try the Oceanic Shadow again.....25 bucks more for the Atomic but I would have spent half that for gas in my truck....not to mention Northern Virginia traffic........man is it bad!

Thanks very much for the help and good info.
I've been doing research on this site on various equipment and learning alot of basics in the process. Great forums!

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom