do you use a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep Sea,
That is a great story. Thanks for sharing.
:sunny:

Originally posted by syruss32
One of the guys I dive with out at CSSP bought one of those fold up snorkels so he could put it in his BCD. It is not as snazzy as some of the better snorkels but it folds nice and small so you can always have it when needed but not have it in the way all the time.

Not sure who the manufacturer is but if I talk to him I will ask and let you know, or someone on here may even know.

You're thinking of the Sherwood Avid snorkle. Where the tube collapses into the rigid barrel of the snorkle like a bendable drinking straw. I have one of those, and did use it this past weekend during the rescue scenarios.

While I beleive you are offering help for stowing of the snorkle, due to the rescue training I just finished, I now need to demand performance when using it over convenience of stowing it underwater.

For casual snorkeling, the Avid would work fine. But my experience with it was not very good. I found that I had to always clear it, it breathed wet too much, and it was very difficult to clear.

While it does stow in a space as small as a UK SL4 flashlight, that's it's only good point. Besides the "Cool! Can I look at that!?!?" you get on the beach when you show it off.

The inwater performace between the Avid snorkle and the TUSA Hyperdry I purchased for my o/w classes is like night and day. The Hyperdry was much easier to clear, and was less likely to get water in it in the first place.

The Avid will be going on eBay for sale in the next week.

Sorry to hear that didn't work for you but I was just offering it as an idea. Hope you find something more to your liking.

I never use a snorkel. They always seem to get tangled up in something. The only time I have used on since I began diving was during my rescue class. I keep one in my dive bag in case it is required somewhere or I need it for some reason but I hate them!

Scott:jester:

I'm always grabbing my snorkel instead of my BC inflator hose. I don't want to do without the snorkel, but it would be nice to find a way to distinguish between the two corrugated tubes hanging over my left shoulder. The snorkel is less than useful if I'm trying to inflate/deflate my BC, but I usually grab it first because it sits over the BC hose.

Any ideas?

Zept,
First, welcome from NJ.
Next, as far as the snorkel goes, why not "stow it" in a BC pocket, or attach it to your leg (like some do with a dive knife), once you are u/w, or sooner, if the conditions permit.
That will help avoid the problem you presented.
Good luck,
Miked

Thanks for the welcome, Miked.

I'd have to saw eight inches off the end of my snorkel to get it into a pocket, and then it might not work so well :). I've thought about attaching it to my leg, but... how? I guess maybe I could make a long, thin pocket and strap that to my calf.

I use one when I teach. I don't dive with one. I carry it in my gear bag in case some whale sharks or dolphins show up. It gets in the way. If I think I might need it, I'll carry it.

Zept...

Depending on which BC you use and the configuration, why not try what I plan on working out: developing a series of bungie loops on the cumberbund that would allow me to stow a standard sized snorkle there. If I get it worked out (and I remember), I'll snap series of photos showing how I worked it out.

--TexasMike

Hi again Zept,
My "snorkel in the BC pocket probably only works for a foldable/curlable/ bendable or small snorkel.
as I have one of those, it fits in a pocket.
I ike the sound of your idea and also think TM's loop idea is worth investigating.
In addition to those ideas, I have seen two others ways that people carry a snorkel on their leg.
One method- which I tried and didn't like- is to hold the snorkel to your leg by using the belts from your dive knife- so the same belt secures the knife/sheathe and snorkel.
The other technique that I have seen-but never tried- is to use long strips of velcro to hold the snorkel onto your leg.
A short (2") strip, or two, of the "fuzzy" velcro is glued to the snorkel,and a longer strip of the 2 sided velcro goes around it and your leg-securing the snorkel to the long strip, and to your leg.
Let us know what you decide to do-and how it works out.
Good luck,
Miked

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom