Best off shore shallow diving in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vittoria

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I recently came back from a snorkel trip in Key Largo at Pennekamp marine reserve. It was wonderful but I found I had trouble diving as far as I wanted to. Darn ear pressure.

I actually prefer shallow diving because it is easier to observe and photograph and not to mention easier on my tubules.

Can you please suggest snorkeling in the Florida area that is up to 10 feet?

Thanks!

Since no one else has answered, I will attempt a response although I do not have first hand experience with south FL shallow water diving. If you go to the Florida subforum on ScubaBoard, you will see that everyone always recommends Lauderdale-By-The_Sea (a small town near Ft. Lauderdale) as having the best off-the-beach, shallow diving in Florida. I think the water there is typically 10-20 ft deep unless you swim a long way offshore. Go to the Florida subforum and you will find many, many posts about this place. I think there is also a very shallow snorkel spot in Boca Raton, which is not far from Ft. Lauderdale, called Red Reef Park. I did a quick search and found this:
Florida-Adventure.com: Snorkeling in Red Reef Park Boca Raton Florida
Again, I have not been to these places, but you will find much information on the Florida subforum.

As far as beach entry shallow diving in Florida you may also consider an area further north than Key Largo and Ft Lauderdale. In Riviera Beach (Palm Beach County) there is a phenominal dive spot at the Blue Heron Bridge. Get a hotel room on Singer Island and the brisge is a hop-skip-and jump away!

You should consider a guide your first time there to avoid wandering thru boat traffic areas and to learn navigating to the best spots......

The best part is that there is a dive shop less than a mile away for all your needs.....It really is a must see and so easy to get to. Here is link to bridg ewebsite......It does the actual site NO justice. I was there last Tuesday and will be there again this Wednesday.....Our local boat diving is pretty awesome up here too......Blue Heron Bridge

Oohhh What I forgot to tell you is that the area at the bridge is a huge nursery environment. In addition to all the babies we can see manatees....HUGE stingrays, octopus, nudis, sea stars, horseshoe crabs galore....See the rest at the website.....Hope this helps.

If you go to Boca Raton, there is a great spot south of their Inlet. There is a small county park, South Inlet Park, costs about $5.00 to park for the day (I think). At this park you can swim out about 50 yards and there are artificial reefs of large rocks that were dumped about 5 years ago, maybe more. They are teeming with life. If you follow this down all the way to the Deerfield Beach pier (there is quite a break between them) there is great snorkeling. 10-15 feet. Lots of life.

Don't forget your dive flag
. Boats tend to leave the Boca Inlet and head south about 100 meters out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom