do you use a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Natasha
I'm with Cheese and Kate. I use mine on the surface, while waiting for others to get off the boat, if we're all going down together. And I think it was Fish that said, for long swim outs. It's the only way to not use up air before getting to the site. I keep mine connected to my mask. But the fold up kind makes sense too. Just be sure to have one. The one time you don't have it, will be the one time you wish you had it. I feel the same way about my safety sausage.

that's when I use mine - waiting for others at the surface, and surface swims to a descent point. Like Natasha, I have a "safety" bag that is always with me. In the bag is a whistle, sausage and a CD. No, not something to listen to -- just one of those CDs that are always coming in the mail - I use it as my 'mirror'

I definitely can qualify as an old salt and used my snorkel on every dive. When I first started to dive, I only had one single 72 cu. ft. 2,250 psi tank. The air in it was as good as gold. All my dives were shore dives with about 100 to 150 yard swims to the off shore reefs. I used the snorkel through the surf and checked out every nook and cranny before I went to my air. If the bottom and/or reef didn’t look good, I went back to the surface and snorkeled around for another spot. I used up every pound of air before I surfaced then snorkeled back to the beach. Believe it or not, I also did not have a BC or pressure gauge! The only instrument I had was a dive watch and capillary gauge. I knew I was running low when I got about 2/3 of a breath. Then I knew I had about 2 to 3 more 1/3 breaths (depending on the depth). I would reach back and turn my “J” valve down to the on position giving me another 300 psi. However, most of the time the valve would be knocked down and I was scrambling to the surface out of air.

Since I only had one tank and my average dive was only around 35 to 45’ I did not worry about dive tables! This was in 1964 when diving was still pretty young. I also made about 60% of my dives alone!

In 1971 I went to U.S. Navy Dive school and was SHOCKED to learn all the things that could have put me in harms way. I still to this day don’t know how I got away with most of my beginning dives. Oh, I bought all my dive gear at a garage sale for $35.00 and did not take any kind of course until the Navy! I averaged about 1 dive every Saturday.
:confused:

"You'll get a comment or two from the 'old salts'"

Actually, I don't think you will. Most "old salts" or mossbacks will never say a word to you about what you should or should not do. They may ask questions about what you are doing and most will answer yours, but few will but in. I've known and learned from quite a few mossbacks, I don't know any who'd make comments about snorkel use.

A snorkel IMHO, is a useful piece of equipment, but there are times it's in the way. Around lines, in overheads and in moderate to strong current I don't want it attached to my mask. I take it out of my bag when I feel conditions call for it or if I'm teaching.

DSSW,

WWW™

Originally posted by scubakat
Ah Hah! Another use those damn AOL CD's!

-kate

... you got it Kate. It was a case of using them as mug coasters, or this. Though a friend did cut out small disks and made a pair of "glitzy" earrings....

I use my snorkel when I dive in the ocean, and probably if I were to dive a lake with waves like the great lakes, other than that I do not use one. I find it cumbersome to wear and it seldom gets used so what's the point of lugging it along

I just completed my Rescue Diver course, and now I've switched side back to "Always carry one".

I had a collapsable snorkle in gear bag, but the other students didn't have one at all. Several of the scenarios we ran would have worked best if a good snorkle was attached to my mask, allow me to do my surface searches and keep my face in the water.

So my plans are now to invest in one of the better attaching devices that I see in the LeisurePro catalog and figure out a way to bungie the snorkle to my BC when under the surface.

While most of the time, I might never ever need it, I sure will miss it when I do and it's on the dock/boat/shore.

No snorkel -- haven't used it since switching to a long hose primary regulator, given the likelihood of snagging when deploying/restowing long hose.

Not condemning snorkel usage...just doesn't work for my current diving style. I do have some long surface swims, but I usually spend them on my back -- more efficient when finning at the surface. Plus, since you can't see the bottom in water with 10 ft vis......why swim face down? ;-)

Originally posted by TexasMike
I just completed my Rescue Diver course, and now I've switched side back to "Always carry one".

I didn't have mine even in the gear bag, as did none of the other students. Several of the scenarios we ran would have worked best if a good snorkle was attached to my mask, allow me to do my surface searches and keep my face in the water.

So my plans are now to invest in one of the better attaching devices that I see in the LeisurePro catalog and figure out a way to bungie the snorkle to my BC when under the surface.

While most of the time, I might never ever need it, I sure will miss it when I do and it's on the dock/boat/shore.

Mike,

One of the guys I dive with out at CSSP bought one of those fold up snorkels so he could put it in his BCD. It is not as snazzy as some of the better snorkels but it folds nice and small so you can always have it when needed but not have it in the way all the time.

Not sure who the manufacturer is but if I talk to him I will ask and let you know, or someone on here may even know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom