All about cylinder inspections & training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey all,

I just did my PSI training down in Sarasota with Steve Fordyce... PSI inspector #004. What a treat!!! He was in the first class way back when, and man does that dude know his tanks. I saw tons of wigged out stuff and learned so much about tanks. I highly reccomend it to anyone, and if you are in the Central Florida area, go ahead and make the pilgrimage and learn from the master.

One question that I know had come up repeatedly was just how many tanks ruptured (popped, exploded, etc.) under pressure per year... the answer is a consistent 4. I also learned that appoximately %5 of tanks inspected or hydroed in a given year fail for one reason or another. I bought my own tank inspection equipment while I was there, and have already used it on 6 tanks (all passed).

No, I don't work for a Dive Shop and I have never inspected tanks before. I guess I took the class because I just don't trust others with my safety. I know that I would not take a shortcut, but I can't be sure of someone trying to knock out a bunch of tanks before closing. My next purchase will be a tank roller (tumbler) and then an eddy current tester.

Hello,

Uhm a 'constant 4' can you explain that one please? Also am told it takes something like over a 1,000 tank inspections to become very proficient and really know what your doing. That's alot of tanks.

Ed

Four per year for quite a few years. He gave us a printout of every tank rupture with the type/cause/particulars for each one since 83 or so. It was very illuminating.

As for the 1000 tanks, I guess that practice makes perfect... heck, I only got 994 to go! At least I don't have to have a surface interval between each one.

So do we send our tanks to you postage due so you can inspect them to get to your 1000? We won't charge you at all for helping you with your training, and I am sure the little amount you pay for us to ship to you and you to ship them back will be totally offset by the satisfaction in knowing you are learning more and more every day! Not to mention the piece of mind in knowing someday one of us may be your buddy and you will have examined our tanks.

Please give your shipping address and FedEx account number so we can start sending these to you as soon as possible.

Don't worry about thanking me, I am happy just knowing I can help you out.

I would have to travel from LDS to LDS to accomplish this. This will surely save on gas! But wait... we don't want to clog up the mail here at Christmas time, so yall, just send me YOUR addresses and I will drive right over and pick your tanks up.

...and thanks for your continued support...

NetDoc,

Actually I will just bring mine to you, You can inspect my tank and then take me diving to try it out.

BTW I will need to stay at your house for a few days to rest before driving back to Kentucky.

Chad

What all is covered in the class?

How long is the class?

One you get your eddy current tester does that mean you will do all your own VIP+ inspects and slap your own labels on the tanks?

What did he say about the alloy compsition of Al tanks, specifically the ones now considered dangerous?

Thanks Pete

Tom

Most the places around here charge around $200 and the topics include:

*EANx Inspection Standards
*Latest Information on Cylinder Failures
*Cylinder Manufacturer Threading Standards
*Frequency of Inspection (External and Internal)
*SCUBA and SCBA Inspection Protocol & Frequency
*Steel, Aluminum, Composite Cylinder Characteristics
*Pit Depth Limits for Solid Wall & Composite Cylinders
*Sustained Load Cracking Inspection & AIT Visual Plus
*CGA, DOT & OSHA Regulations For Hazmat Training
*Steel, Aluminum, Composite Cylinder Corrosion Patterns
*Proper Fill Rate, Temperature, Environment for Cylinders
*Video Segments on Explosion Aftermath(s) and Manufacturing

Hey Tom and all,

While the eddy current teasters are great, they only check the neck area of the tank (less than %10). They can find SLC/RTGC conditions that are hidden and will provide an earlier detection of the neck cracking syndrome. However, SLC/RTGC moves so slowly that you literally have years to find it before it becomes a problem. The cheapest eddy current tester I have seen is $750 so it may be a while before I lay that much out to buy one.

As for the EOI (evidence of inspection) stickers... I can and will use them as I pass any tanks for their visual inspection. I have done about twenty so far, and as the word spreads, friends and acquaintances are bringing their tanks by. I have failed only one tank using the protocols I learned at my one day class. BTW, I paid @ $220 for the class and another $190 in tools.

Pete, just a thought...

Somehow I think the environment in Orlando is a bit different, but for what it's worth. Here in Colorado Springs there are a total of two SCUBA shops. I try and keep a good relationship with both, so one thing I do is only inspect my own cylinders. I'll look at friends' cylinders and render opinions, but I send them to the stores to get the actual VCI done on them.

My 2/100s of a dollar :)

Roak

Ps. In your $190 worth of tools, did you got any neck crack inspection stickers that you'd be willing to part with (about 5)? I use them for my one Argon bottle, so I need exactly one a year, so I'm hesitant to buy 100 of 'em!

Back
Top Bottom