hose lengths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sufur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i couldnt find this in the search but how long are all the hoses supposed to be primary reg is 5 to 7ft, backup? spg? and inflator? im wanting to order miflex hoses but i dont know what lengths.

It depends on your other equipment, with probably the greatest variation being in the LP inflator hose. 24" usually works for the HP hose, 22" or 24" for the secondary regulator. I use an 18" on my Halcyon singles wing, but other wings, especially OMS, will require substantially longer. I'd start with whatever length you have now, and adjust if needed.

For example my hose lengths are primary-7ft, secondary- 22inch, inflator-22inch, and SPG- 24inch. I am getting ready to try a 24inch hose for my secondary. You will need to decide what lengths work best for you. I have spent some time getting my gear configured but once you got it dialed in, it is sweet.

how do you attach a snap to the spg...anyone have a picture of that?

Try this:

How to tie the perfect boltsnap at Wreck and Cave

That is the way I've done it.

Best wishes.

This page has some bad info. Melting the knot is a BAD idea. The general sequence up to there is fine, however. If you really want to fix the knot, a drop of superglue does the trick just fine, although with the ends properly melted (see below) the line will usually wear through a break long before the knot comes undone.

Try this link instead. Combine the basic info on both pages to tie a snap to darned near anything.

How to Attach a Snap - Dive Gear Express

Note: For reg hose bolt snaps, I generally add a 4th loop around the hose, to help keep things from sliding just a little more.

Thumb_IMG_0218.JPG

As for lengths, generally I recommend 40", 60" or 72" for the primary (depending on need), 22 or 24" for secondary (probably 22 is fine with Miflex as you can often go a smidge shorter than with rubber hoses), LP Inflator hose is 22" on my rig, but measure your wing's hose to be sure as they vary widely, and 24" for the HP SP hose.

how do you attach a snap to the spg...anyone have a picture of that?

First answering your OP, as you notice exact sizes may vary a little according to equipment, so this what I use:

Primary 7ft
Bungeed Backup 22'
Inflator 22'
HP Hose 24'

I use same lenght for doubles and singles.

Now to the issue quoted above... other posters already sent you links about how to tie a snap, so I just want to add something. I use cables and nots just for the SPG, as I will not want to take the snap out, but for my primary, consider the situation (it is rare, but not impossible) that you have it clipped and for any reason needs to take it out quickly, what if you have problems to unclip? For this reason I use a rubber O-ring and a tireup in the hose to attach the snap, so if I need to unclip fast and the snap is jammed, I just pull the hose strongly and the O-ring brakes releasing my primary and leaving the snap in the D Ring

I will post a picture later to ilustrate what I mean

sufur, are you planning to use a DIR-type setup? In that case, you've gotten good answers already.

If not, you have a lot of options on hose length. In standard setups, primary hoses are often about 24" and octopus hoses are 36" or 40". You can do a bungied backup with a 22" hose, and use a 40" hose routed under the arm with a swivel, or you can use a 5' primary hose and route it around the back of the neck like a 7' hose is routed.

It really comes down to what regulator you are going to donate in an OOA situation. If you donate the primary (the one you are breathing) you want a longer hose on it than the 24" standard. If you donate the octopus, the primary hose can be short.

sufur, are you planning to use a DIR-type setup? In that case, you've gotten good answers already.

I assumed a long hose rig, based on the OP's mention of "primary reg is 5 to 7ft".

If he's looking for a short hose recreational setup (no need to assume DIR :wink: ) then TSandM's figures are the ones to use.

yea im looking to go the DIR route cause eventually i want to take a fundies class.

Back
Top Bottom