Wetsuit thickness question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got one, but wasn't planning on using it until the water cools off a bit. My co-workers seem to like them. Doubtful that it's as easy as a 3mm to get into, sure it's warmer than my 5mm Aquaflex summer suit :)

I've heard a lot of good things about them from my friends, although I've never had one myself. If I need 7mm I'm in a dry suit.

It's a good suit but I've never found much use for a 5mm. For warm water diving a 3mm is standard and in cold water you usually want a 7mm (or 7mil +vest/hood + gloves...) What temps are you planning on diving? mid-40s through high 60s I'd say 7mm, warmer than that 3mm. Colder than that, dive dry.

Are you in NorCal or SoCal? I know the coastal waters (and temps) fairly well. If you're planning to dive locally you'll need something completely different than if you're planning to dive Maldives, for example.

I am in SoCal. Catalina Island and 90 % of my dives will be local and less than 60 ft in depths.

10% of my diving will be between 60F - 65F

90% of my diving will be between 65F - 75F

I need the warmth of the 7 mil which this one seems to provide and the buoyancy of under 7 mil so I can minimize the weight of my belt. That's why this 5 mil seemed like a good idea and the best of the both worlds. But I may be wrong.

I am in SoCal. Catalina Island and 90 % of my dives will be local and less than 60 ft in depths.

10% of my diving will be between 60F - 65F

90% of my diving will be between 65F - 75F

I need the warmth of the 7 mil which this one seems to provide and the buoyancy of under 7 mil so I can minimize the weight of my belt. That's why this 5 mil seemed like a good idea and the best of the both worlds. But I may be wrong.

I admit that I don't dive Catalina that often, but those temperatures do not sound right at all....if you're going to be diving year round and/or deeper than 10 feet, you need exposure protection that will keep you comfortable down to mid to low 50's (I've seen 49F in socal a couple times even).

If you want to be comfortable year round, doing multiple dives a day, your best bet is a drysuit....a lot of people in socal seem to reject the idea of a drysuit (and I cannot figure out why), but it certainly makes diving far more enjoyable.

If you're particularly set on a wetsuit, I believe the warmest suits are the farmer johns with integrated hoods....no zippers. You get double the thickness around the core and nowhere to let water come dumping in.

I was in Catalina a couple weeks ago, and it was about 63° (I'll be generous and call it 65°).

I was perfectly content in a 7mm wetsuit with a 2/3 hooded vest.

I have been using the AquaLung SolaFX 7/8mm semidry wetsuit at Monterey. In water temps around 50 deg F, it works quite well. A couple of weeks ago the water was up to 62 deg F and it was too much. The thing really does stay pretty dry and with no water circulating, I was burning up.

We were all starting to talk about getting 5mm suits for the summer months.

I have about $3000 reasons why I am not thinking about a drysuit. That, and I supply the funding for 4 divers.

Richard

I dont have the Elastoprene suit but I have a Pinnacle 5/4mm Fusion with the Merino lining. I have been warm in water in the 5/4mm while others were warm in 7mm. I have since switched to a drysuit for colder water.

I was in Catalina a couple weeks ago, and it was about 63° (I'll be generous and call it 65°).

I was perfectly content in a 7mm wetsuit with a 2/3 hooded vest.

You went out in a wetsuit again??? What is getting into you? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom