Cenote Diving Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeedABiggerBoat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going to the Mayan Riviera in February and want to try diving the Cenotes. Can I get some feedback about quality dive operations that run trips to these and what are the best sites that are suitable for a first timer? Thanks!

Going to the Mayan Riviera in February and want to try diving the Cenotes. Can I get some feedback about quality dive operations that run trips to these and what are the best sites that are suitable for a first timer? Thanks!

check out Nicholas at www.cenotexperience.com.mx

robin:D

I would highly recommend either Dennis Weeks (Pez de Diablo on this board) or German Yanez of Yucatech. I know both men pretty well, having taken Cavern and Intro from German, and having had my husband do some guided diving with Dennis (and having had dinner with him a few times as well). Both are cave instructors and safety-conscious, but also really nice, fun people.

There are quite a few sites that are good for tours. My favorites were Dos Ojos and Grand Cenote, but Taj Maha also has some beautiful halocline effects. The pool at Cenote Eden is beautiful as well. The cavern at Chac Mool is very large and grand.

The cenotes are great diving, but be sure you have good buoyancy control and trim, and that you have enough diving experience not to be anxious about diving under an overhead. They are not, in my opinion, for beginners. Also beware -- the cave bug lives in those cenotes, and once it bites you, it's all over! Doubles, long hoses, and lights-out exits await you :)

When I was there last year, I dove with a fellow named Octavio Perez (c_bluedive@hotmail.com). I was impressed and happy beyond words. The dive was just him and me. He picked me up at the hotel and dropped me back off. On the ride, he briefed me quite extensively on what I would need to know. And he is just a good all-around guy.

As Lynn says, beware of the cave bug.

I should note that one of the few times I've been apprehensive while diving was when I was about to do a giant stride into the water at Dos Ojos. The water was so clear and still that I did not believe there was water and I feared that I'd fall to the rocks below. I actually got onto my knees to feel that the water was there. Needless to say, it worked just like any other water I've ever been in ... I just could not see it.

I dove cenotes twice so far, first Dos Ojos and about a month ago did Temple of Doom and Grand Cenote (which are very close to each other). As Bruce and Lynn have said, they are addictive! Playa is one of our favorite areas and I'll be sure to get into cenotes each time we head down! Dos Ojos was very cool a bit longer of dives than Temple of Doom and Grand Cenote. Temple of Doom was really cool for the haloclyne experience, Grand Cenote is just laid out really well and is a great spot to bring non-divers to experience snorkeling in cenotes.

Both of my trips have been set up by Jason w/ Fantasea Dive, we generally head over to Coz for a day of diving, a day or two of Playa reefs and a day in the cenotes w/ Playa Scuba. Have been guided by both Klaus and Luis and had wonderful trips both times! The diving is awesome and so is the little taco shop we stopped at on the way down - found a great shop just north of Tulum on the way home for tacos as well!

Just as important in having a positive experience is making sure you have your bouyancy control fine tuned before doing your cenote dives. Having a great guide and being in one of the most wonderful surroundings will only be wasted if you are freaking out while playing pinball with the ceiling and floor. The odds are if you tell the dive Op that it is your first time you will end up at Dos Ojos or Choc mool. Trust me....Anywhere they take you will be great if you are able to relax and take it all (or even half) in. Even it you go visit the croc at Car Wash.

I cannot emphasize how important buoyancy control is in a cenote. If your buoyancy control is good, the experience is so peaceful that you will automatically relax. You will be amazed at how little air you will actually use.

It is also important to make sure you are with a small group. I dove Chac Mool last week with only four people. We averaged 45 min bottom time. There were several larger groups there that only got about 20 minutes because all the ops were doing were herding them through. We went with MAD out of Cancun. It was one of the best dives I have experienced.

Back
Top Bottom