Diving Pulau Tioman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello fellow SB'ers. I am traveling to Singapore in a week and planning some diving at Palau Tioman.

I would appreciate your comments/advice on this dive site or any others nearby.

Thanks so much!

Jeff

+1 408-832-0898

Right now, it looks like we'll be busing up to Mersing and then boat/ferry out to Tioman. This is a package deal and seems to be priced well. Looks like a group gig.

Is Tioman a good dive site or??

Thanks!!

hi there,

well, depending on where you have dived, it's ok, not too bad but not fantastic either, maybe above average. but it's one of the most convenient dive site for folks living in Singapore/Malaysia.

Just be prepared to slightly rough it out (bus ride is usually nice, but boat ride and accommodation can be a bit spartan. :) can be a tiring trip, so get plenty of rest before you embark on the trip. enjoy the dive!

Tioman has lots of nice dive sites. Expect temps from 28-30c, viz from 8 - 30m, lots of fish of all sizes but you'd be lucky to see the spectacular; healthy coral but also a fair amount of rubble. Dive shops and accommodations vary greatly from safe to cowboy and luxurious to spartan. I reccommend B&J Divers, Tioman Reef Divers and Tioman Dive Centre for shops.

B&J Diving Centre in Salang and in ABC
Tioman with Tioman Reef Divers, Malaysia
Tioman Dive Centre

The second two are in Tekek so you can stay in budget accomodations like Babura or Swiss Cottage or a better place like Berjaya Resort. The B&J is in ABC and Salang so I think budget is the only choice. All shops can help you arrange a place. You can also go to the nicer resorts like Japamala, Paya Beach and Melina Beach but you will then will probably need to use their own dive shops or figure out how to get to the other side of the island.

Berjaya Hotels & Resorts - Tioman Beach, Golf & Spa Resort In Malaysia
Paya Beach Resort
Boutique resort on Tioman Island - JapaMala
Melina Beach, Tioman Island

Zippsy - Thanks so much for your feedback. This is really excellent feedback. I think we picked Tioman due to convenience and our available time. Maybe next time we'll have some more time and then check out some of the other locations in the area.

Thanks again!!

Hi,

I just got back from diving around Tioman last weekend. It's great fun, I like the turtles and rays and morays and clownfish, parrot fish, salamander fish, pufferfish, the whole lot!

Be prepared for spartan accomodation as mentioned before, and it'll be great fun. Water temp goes down to 27°C in some places :)

I'll definitely do it again as soon as possible.

Been there twice last year, loving it.

Got some real nice dive sites, pm me if yo want to know the dive site names, got to refer to my dive log.

There is a dive spot with great underwater formations, nice huge boulders. Some guys during our trip saw whale sharks. Not me though, so sad.

U will enjoy it! Have fun!

I have been to Tioman many times and dived all other Asia - I still like Tioman, there are some very nice sites. Personal favourites include: Bahara Rock, Cebeh and Tiger reef - Ringgis is also a nice site right in front of Berjaya.
If you like swim throughs, you will love Labas. Gorgonian canyon is nice as well.
Enjoy !

In terms of practical info, Zippsy's advice is excellent (as aways - well almost)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom