Diver killed by propeller in Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, here in PI's, this means nothing, as the 'poor' DM/guides are easily manipulated/controlled by the 'rich' local divers who simply do not care.

So as a 'rich' local diver why don't you care? Have you started an smb training class for the guides in your area? Perhaps you could donate some of your old smb's to the local guides?

:mooner:
Few follow international standards regarding dive regs in the PI's because values upon life here are very cheap (negligable) as compared to Europe, US and many places.
:mooner:

WHAT????? Where is here? It sure isn't the Philippines I live in!

one life ? 100.000 Peso ... at least that's what the family of the victim gets from Ceres-Liner...

... if a local DM can't afford a 15$ surface marker buoy, but a cell and 30 peso load each day, he set wrong priorities in his life and is definitely in the wrong job, where it is his responsibility to provide safe and enjoyable dives.

I heard that if you inflate COTs with your octo, they make great SMBs... I'm not sure, but I think I Chip told me this...:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Ok, that was FUNNY!!!

....and just look how far we have travelled in 16 posts. Condolences to any friends / family who might happen to read the thread.

are you kidding or just starting a 'robust' discussion?

actually i am serious. not all the DMs i've dived with had SMBs. but we do normally surface near the boat. if not, i try to hear if a boat's coming.

so am i gonna die?

maybe i should go ahead and pull the trigger on that SMB i was eyein online.

actually i am serious. not all the DMs i've dived with had SMBs. but we do normally surface near the boat. if not, i try to hear if a boat's coming.

so am i gonna die?

maybe i should go ahead and pull the trigger on that SMB i was eyein online.

buy the SMB, they are always good to at least have on hand.

Few follow international standards regarding dive regs in the PI's because values upon life here are very cheap (negligable) as compared to Europe, US and many places.

Deploying an SMB is accepted standard procedure in areas wherever boats operate.

Surfacing in an area of danger without proper briefings/precautions can - in the US and Europe (for example) hold the dive operator liable for manslaughter.

However, here in PI's, this means nothing, as the 'poor' DM/guides are easily manipulated/controlled by the 'rich' local divers who simply do not care.

I never listen to the DMs during the briefing - too BOOOOOORING. I've got too much money coming out of my ears that I can't hear him what he's saying.

Obviously it's up to the DM to baby sit me when I'm in the water. What am I paying him for?

Rich divers have the money to do whatever they want. But why would I want to spend P400 ($8) on a safety balloon? The DM should have one.

It's NOT up to the dive shop to provide them with any safety equipment - if the DM didn't have the safety equipment already then they shouldn't have hired him in the first place. :shakehead:

I think it's great that you're comparing the Philippines to the US and Europe. I don't know why can't this country can't be more like them.

Back
Top Bottom