Clearing a full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt83

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have used a full face mask on about 5 dives now without any real training. When I was first shown how to use it I was told that if it floods I can look down and hold the purge to clear it. That seemed to take a long time and I assumed it wasnt the best way to go about clearing it. So, on a safety stop I tried to clear it by blowing a huge breath into the mask and hopefuly being able to blow out all the water. This idea seemed to work very well, but I realized one thing. If you cant clear the mask on that one breath you cant take another and have to bail out to a reg. Later, discussing it with another instructor, I was told that if the mask floods you are suppoes to switch to your reg and put on your regular mask and continue the dive without the full face mask. So, my question is, what is the proper technique if your full face mask floods? Thanks for any help.

I use an EXO26 FFM fairly often in training, and when you hit the purge button it empties completely and quickly. It's pretty surprising how fast it purges actually.

If you're using an AGA the purge should clear it fairly quickly. If it's not doing that you should probably have the mask checked by a technician, the flow rate may need a bit of adjusting.

I've always taught folks to look up as they clear the mask and hold the top tight against their forehead, give that a try to see if it helps.

If it's a different type of FFM post what type and hopefully someone thats familiar with it will chime in.

Oh, and I'd recommend testing this out in a pool or shallow spot rather than in deeper water on a stop. Better spot if you have a problem. :D

I have used a full face mask on about 5 dives now without any real training. When I was first shown how to use it I was told that if it floods I can look down and hold the purge to clear it. That seemed to take a long time and I assumed it wasnt the best way to go about clearing it. So, on a safety stop I tried to clear it by blowing a huge breath into the mask and hopefuly being able to blow out all the water. This idea seemed to work very well, but I realized one thing. If you cant clear the mask on that one breath you cant take another and have to bail out to a reg. Later, discussing it with another instructor, I was told that if the mask floods you are suppoes to switch to your reg and put on your regular mask and continue the dive without the full face mask. So, my question is, what is the proper technique if your full face mask floods? Thanks for any help.

You don't clear FFMs with your breath, that's a normal reg+mask technique. For the AGA, tilt your face so the exhaust is at the lowest point and hold the purge button down. The mask will clear from the top down in about 5 seconds. You may need to move the residual water (by moving your head) to the lowest point and repeat a little purging and/or exhale for the last little bit.

Thanks guys. I see the purge is the right way now. I will practice it next time I get a chance. Thanks again.

Everyone else has commented on how to correctly purge the FFM, but I just wanted to touch on the above bolded and underlined statement. This was an instructor who told you this? Just curious if they have ever had any training on a FFM and if not (which it seems obvious to me they havent), why being an instructor would they tell you this?

This was an instructor who had about as much training on the mask as I had. I think she was told this because she hadnt had any training and it was easier than teaching her the right way. It never sounded right to me either. Thats the reason I questioned it here. I know there is a larger group of full face mask divers here to talk to than where I was able to practice with it. Thanks again.

When you put your mask on... Which straps are you tightening first? I was told by the people at OTS to begin at the lowest strap and work up. Adjusting your mask this way will give you a better seal most likely, and you shouldn't have water leaking issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom