Good place to buy a desktop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, you can run duals off a mini. Not a bad way to go.

I love my HP mini . . . except the proprietary video out port :depressed:

Works great for travel!!!

I love my HP mini . . . except the proprietary video out port :depressed:

Works great for travel!!!

Oh... that mini

Thought you were referring to a mac mini :wink: - it's around $500 too..

Macs are the devil . . .

This post has been modified so as not to make the PC I use become jealous that I want a MAc . . .

Thanks for your inputs....

What I want to have the dual monitor like "Will" did on the MAC, but at the PC. I like MAC very much, but I can NOT run some statistical SW, so Mac is out.....

I know how to build the dual monitor with the notebook, but I would like to have a solid desktop station with 22~23inch dual monitors.

As you know, not all PC provides a dual monitor feature. It might be a video card matter.

In addition, OK... I have been behind IT world for a while.... Please educate me which CPU I should consider. My computer works are limited in some statistical SW, MS office, Photoshop (a little bit), Basic Video Edit, Web surfing, Downloading, Video conference, and NO GAME AT ALL.

Here is what I want:

22~23inch dual monitors (possibly DVI or HDMI)
Maximum memory whatever they required
Fast enough CPU (can run Window 7)
Bluetooth
Wireless
LAN

Thanks for your expertise in advance.

Try Tiger Direct. They may be CompUSA now as they bought the name. They are online as well as have a store in Orland Park IL and I have bought lots from them. I am certain you can find what you are looking for possibly at a good price also. This was the same place that I got my mom's mini pc we talked about months ago.

Good luck.

What I want to have the dual monitor like "Will" did on the MAC, but at the PC. I like MAC very much, but I can NOT run some statistical SW, so Mac is out.....

You sure about that? This is a pretty common misconception. You can dualboot a Mac with a full copy of windows - or run a windows virtual machine on a mac using a program like VMWare Fusion. I run all my "Windows Only" apps on my Mac flawlessly :)

You sure about that? This is a pretty common misconception. You can dualboot a Mac with a full copy of windows - or run a windows virtual machine on a mac using a program like VMWare Fusion. I run all my "Windows Only" apps on my Mac flawlessly :)

I know it... My friend and sister have and like it very much. But, it isn't enough in my taste..:wink:

Anyway, I searched the Tiger Direct...

Man, I can see how much I am behind. I only can understand a half of their model/spec. jargon.

It must have been improved and advanced very much.

Anyway, I am also thinking about a Shuttle barebone model. Any experience?
Some reviewers argued that it is very noisy, maybe due to the small case and fan.

I don't still get the dual link DVI and crossfire.

In addition, anyone has used Maxtor DualHead2Go Digital Edition Dual Monitor Stretcher with DVI Output

Based on the concept, it seems to be ok, but I need to get more info.

For example, I plan to get two SAMSUNG’s SyncMaster™ 2343BWX. Its max. resolution is 2048 x 1152, but Maxtor's Stretcher only supports upto 1920x1200.

So, what if I use Maxtor's stretcher with those Samsung monitors. It only shows 1920X1200 resolution or shows any dead space in black due to the resolution matter?

Cards with the dual link DVI outputs: basically it's a video card with 2 monitor outputs. Makes it so you don't need an aftermarket splitter device.

You don't need crossfire since you will not be gaming at all.

You won't need the Maxtor stretcher if you get a decent ATi or nVidia video card with dual DVI outputs. With these cards you use the built in software (nVidia calls their nView, ATi calls theirs Catalyst control) and you set your monitors to stretch, expand or mirror, it's very easy actually.

The Maxtor stretcher won't show dead space, the LCD will stretch it to fit and it will not look as clear as it would at max resolution.

Those mini footprint Shuttles come with onboard Intel graphics, those are some weak GPU's (graphics processing unit), if you want to do some video editing I'd avoid them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom