Diver killed by propeller in Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How very unfortunate. I wonder if she surfaced away from the group and/or DM?

The DM's here make a lot of bubbles with their regs before surfacing. Mostly to get the attention of their boat more than to warn other boats. But if it works for both then great. Most of the DM's don't have and/or don't use dive sausages.

My biggest concern with diving in Alona is exactly what happened to that diver. There are so many bancas and speedboats in the water.

This incident is the perfect example of always using a dive sausage on a reel and sending it up while doing your 3 minute stop. It's no guarantee but may have saved her life.

Few follow international standards regarding dive regs in the PI's because values upon life here are very cheap (negligable) as compared to Europe, US and many places.

Deploying an SMB is accepted standard procedure in areas wherever boats operate.

Surfacing in an area of danger without proper briefings/precautions can - in the US and Europe (for example) hold the dive operator liable for manslaughter.

However, here in PI's, this means nothing, as the 'poor' DM/guides are easily manipulated/controlled by the 'rich' local divers who simply do not care.

i've always assumed that as long as you surface near the boat you'l be ok. if not, the DM should have an SMB. is that a safe assumption?

Few follow international standards regarding dive regs in the PI's because values upon life here are very cheap (negligable) as compared to Europe, US and many places.

Deploying an SMB is accepted standard procedure in areas wherever boats operate.

Surfacing in an area of danger without proper briefings/precautions can - in the US and Europe (for example) hold the dive operator liable for manslaughter.

However, here in PI's, this means nothing, as the 'poor' DM/guides are easily manipulated/controlled by the 'rich' local divers who simply do not care.
troll-web.jpg

i've always assumed that as long as you surface near the boat you'l be ok. if not, the DM should have an SMB. is that a safe assumption?

are you kidding or just starting a 'robust' discussion?

I have to disagree with you.

My experiences with Filipinos in general is they are a polite, gentle and easy going people. One of the hardest words for a Filipino to say is "No". Taking advantage of that with a Filipino DM by ignoring their briefings and/or instructions is on the "rich tourist diver" not the DM.

Many of the local DM's do not have signal balloons/reels simply because they cannot afford them and the "rich foreigner dive shop owners" do not provide them. That's on the dive shop owner.

Back
Top Bottom