Encourage me as I learn to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My biggest challenge of the day was getting below the surface on the first dive. After falling backwards into the water and taking a few deep breaths and some positive self-talk, I was ready to descend...at least mentally. I tried emptying my BC with the BC control but I kept floating on the surface. I knew I needed to hold the control above the level of the BC, but it wasn't working. After several tries and a little frustration, I managed to sink myself. Before the next dive I reviewed with Pete what I needed to do and he reminded me; "left shoulder up, right shoulder down" to make emptying the BC more efficient. It worked great on my second dive and I went right down.

Just finished my confined water past weekend this is also my biggest problem. BC empty as far as I can tell and I can't get under...

Just keep the deflator valve up and your feet down. The deflator valve should be the highest thing on you and your equipment, set the rest of your body up to go straight down. I needed help with this again yesterday and I think it is even more challenging if you are doing any bobbing in choppy water. Keep trying!!!

Back
Top Bottom