DIR-compliant regulators in today's market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about regulators that free flow in case of problems? yay or nay?

I think that means pretty much everything except some Poseidons. Yes, you want a reg that freeflows if it fails - with a tec DIR setup you will just shut it down anyway.

Personally, I've got one Apex for my single tank setup, a set of Beuchat double regulators, a set of DiveRite RG-2500's double regulators, a single Beuchat for a stage bottle and an OMS for my O2 regulator. Most of these were "buddy" sales where a buddy was getting out of diving or trading up equipment.

I was looking at the Salvo regulators and a set from Phil Ellis's store at one point in time when I got the DiveRite RG-2500's instead.

I'm not quite sold on the myflex hoses but that's just me. I've not tried them out yet either.

6) Chances are even if you invest in a single regulator now thinking that when you eventually go to doubles that you'll just buy another regulator, in the end you'll end up buying a matched set of regulators specifically for doubles diving. Because by the time you go to doubles and want that 2nd regulator, models will have changed and you won't get an exact match.

I never have trouble locating Mk25s or S600s.

I was looking at the Salvo regulators and a set from Phil Ellis's store at one point in time when I got the DiveRite RG-2500's instead.

I could be wrong, but I think those are the same regs with different branding.

The 2nd stages front covers should be removable in water, such that simple repairs like a diaphragm that is not seated properly can be handled.

The 2nd stages front covers should be removable in water, such that simple repairs like a diaphragm that is not seated properly can be handled.

That's a nice theory. I can re-seat my diaphragm without gloves on, but highly doubt I could actually do it in the water.

On this branding thing, is there a list somewhere of equivalent brands? It makes no sense to me to pay more for a name.

And, how does one determine optimal hose routing? None of the literature I've found on the Oxycheq first stage, for example, talk about hose routing.

And, how does one determine optimal hose routing? None of the literature I've found on the Oxycheq first stage, for example, talk about hose routing.

If you don't have the regs in front of you, look at pictures to determine where all the ports and and just visualize the hoses.

For singles rigs, it doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot (though having a LP port at the bottom is nice since it takes a bend out of your long hose).

Doubles rigs are where you really want to pay attention so that you don't trap hoses (particularly those from which you breathe), and so it's easy for someone who's looking at your rig to see what hose is connected to what (in the instance of a 'mistaken identity' failure).

Forgive me if this has been hashed over before. I've done searches for information on DIR-compliant regulators, and have only turned up two - the scubapro MK20 and apeks DS4 seem to be the most popular, but the websites I've found these on seem to be a little older.

Atomics Z2s.

Apeks XTX >=50 will be good for second stages, and i think all their first stages are "compliant", the DS4s are just cheap and compliant and you can get rebuild kits for them.

For doubles (and twin valve singles) the key phrase is "in and down". All hoses should run from the first stage downwards and towards the centre of the rig. This means all hoses are tucked as much as possible out of the way which both increases streamlining to reduce drag and reduces the risk of entanglement.

For example:
hosekit_doubles_apeks.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom