Vanuatu and New Caledonia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pictures are from a book called Poissons de Nouvelle Caledonie et des Nouvelles Hebrides (Pierre Laboute et Pierre Fourmanoir).
How coincidental... this thick and richly illustrated book was my bedside book in port Vila at the time I had a sea aquarium, a big fishtank of 200 liters.
The only visual home attraction we could have in the TVless country New Hebrides were.

I used it for fish Id. purposes : I remember I had sent the drawing of the cockatoo waspfish I had caught to Dr.Catala of Noumea aquarium, for it wasn't in the book, hence I couldn't put a name on it (Catala wrote the intro of the book, didn't he?).
How could we then live without the Internet? :)

My other favorite book at the time was "Coquillages de Nouvelle Calédonie et de Mélanésie", a slimmer paperback book. I was always staring at niger porcelain shell page (caught some at ilot Goéland some years later).

Well, well... might not be very politically correct on a XXIst century scuba forum to admit collecting shells and catching live fish. :eyebrow:

Bonjour,

I haven't been on the forum for a couple of days. One of my dogs was poisoned and I was terribly distressed for a couple of days. Fortunately he is very tough and I was quick to get him to the vet who took good care of him. He is recovering nicely although he spent one day in a coma. Even the vet was surprised. He was preparing me for the worst. Needless to say, it is probably best that I don't know who was responsible.

Claude, I am afraid that I can't be sure of the photo. I think it is also the Baie de Moselle but around twenty or thirty years ago. It was interesting to see the old pilot boats in the other photo. The "Gazelle" now belongs to a guy I met in Port Vila. He was talking about doing day trips with her. There are two other ones which are used as live-aboards here in Noumea. Luko is really gong to be surprised with the changes around the Baie de Moselle and the new markets.

Pierre Laboute is still around. Last year I was invited to be part of the jury for a local photo competition. He was president of the jury. He has published two new books recently. One is called "Poissons de Nouvelle Caledonie" and the other is "Lagons et Recifs de Nouvelle Caledonie" I have both of these books. They are lovely although a bit expensive.

Hi Annabella:

I'm glad to hear that your doggie will fully recover. I know exactly what you were going through. My little bassador of 14 years passed away a few years back. I still can't bring myself to get another dog.

I think you have me onto something in regards to the picture that I can't place. When I was little my grand-father took me fishing for Rougets and Communards outside the Baie de Moselle and Baie de L'Orphelinat. We used to launch from a small boat ramp. It exists to this day and is just beyond the protective wall of the marina at Baie de Moselle. I recall that there were some squatters that lived in that area. The picture has a strong resemblance to that area, minus the marina of course. I never knew that there were live-aboard operations in Noumea. From a diver perspective, it would seem the best way to discover the lagoon, especially in the more remote areas.

Luko:

The avant-propos is written by Mr. Legan (Directeur du Centre ORSTROM) but Mr. Catala is mentioned and thanked for his hefty contribution of photographs. Don't worry about the fish collecting. As I recall, I was far too trigger happy when I spear fished. The Dawa (Naso Unicornis) always eluded me but I now understand why they were so skittish. Do you have a plan once you arrive in Noumea or will you just see as the days pass? I see that you may go to either Hienghene or Ouvea. It's a difficult choice. Hienghene has those beautiful regal mountains, while Ouvea has those lovely sandy beaches. Both are definitely different slices of Paradise.

Oh, have a few "Number Ones" when you're back home. I'm certain it will refresh your occasional hot afternoon.

Claude

@Annabella :

Oh hmmh... better a happy dog alive than a red boat... :ermm: Someone not nice has been reading the forum?.. :hurt:

Btw do I have to book ahead for diving with your centre or can I just ring up the day before - will be a weekday- ? (Sorry to ask but I am the last minute kind of guy and Asia has spoilt me with this kind of behavior, not sure it is so flexible in [-]France[/-] Noumea)

@Claude :
I only have three days planned in Nouméa and I will surely book one day with Anabella's dive centre. Of course Number One, as the brand name claims, is on top of my list :wink:
I am then flying to Vanuatu (Vila+Tanna) for ten days and hesitating between making it to Santo the last 5 days or coming back to NC where I would then either fly to Ouvea or drive to the north.

Hello guys,

My dog Tasi is almost back to his normal, happy self.

Claude. When I said live-aboard, I actually meant that the owners are living on board. There are still no dive live-aboards in the country. There are sailing catamarans where the customers can do a bit of diving but no real live-aboards. It is a shame as there is some incredible diving off the beaten track. When I used to charter with my boat, I once took a group of biologists studying turtles up to Huan Island in the Entrecasteaux group and the diving was really something. I think that the French Government just makes it really complicated.

Luko. The red boat is now a white boat. I see that you have been following our local dramas. I will be in court with him on June 30th. He ran over my divers on purpose and it was not the first time. I think that he is a bit off his head and he can be quite nasty. He was found guilty of manslaughter after the accident when the japanese tourist drowned during an intro dive, but as he appealed he is now back on the water until he goes back to court I think in October.

For the diving, please keep in mind that we are closed on Mondays. We always dive on the week-ends and we are usually fully booked by Thursday and sometimes earlier if the weather is good. We often dive on Wednesdays and Fridays. It depends on the demand. We are still in the low season. Call when you arrive and I will do my best.

For the diving, please keep in mind that we are closed on Mondays. We always dive on the week-ends and we are usually fully booked by Thursday and sometimes earlier if the weather is good. We often dive on Wednesdays and Fridays. It depends on the demand. We are still in the low season. Call when you arrive and I will do my best.
Should be wednesday Jul 22nd.
Can you pls option me a place on your dive boat until then?

I have put you down for Wednesday. It is often better during the week as the boat is usually not full and there are not so many divers in the water.

Back
Top Bottom