Diving Bunaken/Lembeh: Staying on mainland vs. island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive~Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm planning on diving Bunaken, and I can't decide between staying on the mainland/Manadao (would be at Tasik Ria) or staying at a dive operator resort directly on Bunaken. Thoughts? Thx

Stay on Island and avoid long boat rides
Also, water sometimes rough, and crossing not possible/practical
Bastianos is a nice place to stay.

If you want to dive both areas (Bunaken and Lembeh) and don't want to move halfway through your stay, being in Manado is okay. Keep in mind that you will have a longer boat ride to Bunaken from Manado than you will if you stay on the island, and also that you will have to travel about 1.5 hours over land to get to the jump off point for Lembeh if you stay at Tasik Ria/Manado. I've done this (though stayed at a different resort.) IMO, it's a little bit more hassle, but in the long run more convenient, to stay right at the places you're going to dive.

It's a lot longer then 1.5 hours from Tasik Ria to a jump off for Lembeh. When I did both I stayed at Lembeh Resort then at Tasik Ria. I didn't care for Tasik Ria that much that I would recommend it. I agree with Quero you'd be better staying at the places you are gonna dive then trying to dive both from one place.

Just got back from a trip to Bunaken/Lembeh.

At Bunaken, you definitely want to stay on the island not in Manado. Most of the dive sites are situated all around the island - which is at least 45-50 mins by boat from Manado, but just a few minutes from the Bunaken resorts. I stayed at Living Colours which was very nice - beautiful bungalows set in a private garden full of flowers and overlooking the ocean.

At Lembeh - and may I say, this was my first trip to Lembeh, and WOW ! what a fantastic place for diving, I will be returning many times - it doesn't matter so much if you stay on mainland or on Lembeh island since there are dive sites on both sides of the channel and its not so wide.

I stayed at Divers Lodge Lembeh, which was absolutely great - Rob the owner is extremely helpful and nice guy, knowledgeable about the local area and diving - food was brilliant, dive operation very smooth with individual service and no crowds (4 people per boat max with two guides), rooms clean and free laundry !! Only downside is that it is on south part of Lembeh island so a 45 min boat ride up to the main dive sites at the north of the straits. Its a nice 45 mins in the sunshine admiring the big ships that sail in and out of Bitung though.

I am a big fan of staying close to the best dive sites.

This means 2 separate places, stay on bunaken island, and stay in lembeh. That's what I did, and it worked out great. Moving wasn't a big deal.

You'll see lots of great critters muck-diving in lembeh, and big fish in bunaken.

Have fun!
Scott

I'll throw my 2 cents in and agree with everyone else...stay on Bunaken and at Lembeh. I did that last August and it really wasn't much of a hassle for us. If this is your first time to the area, I would highly recommend diving Lembeh and Bunaken because they are different types of dive sites and creatures to see.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

We stayed at KBR in lembeh and enjoyed it so much we went back to KBR but we then spent the 2nd week at Siladen Spa which was great for us. I worry about lembeh straits becoming over dived. The facilties to support Live aboards did not seem to be good and guess were the sewage goes, not nice diving and seeing toilet paper in the water.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom