Vanuatu and New Caledonia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..........Wait until you see how much Noumea has changed.

Claude

oh i hear you.... Port Vila is NOT the place i remember 10yrs ago... very sad how the tourist dollar ruins everything

next tropical island i find im not telling anyone about it!

Hi Harmony:

Would this be your sailing boat?

Kuendu%20Beach%20Bay%20Entrance.JPG

I took this picture in January 2008.

Claude

Hello Claude,

No this is not Harmony (that's actually the name of my boat). I take her into Port Moselle for six months every year during the cyclone season. This is from December through April. I will find a photo for you. Harmony is a classic Herreschoff ketch. She is more than thirty years old and almost 17 meters in length. There are quite a lot of photos around of Harmony in the Kuendu Bay.

Annabella

Hi Claude,
Yep... Surf Hotel is often coming back once filtering off the supra expensive overrated accoms in Noumea, What is your opinion on Nouvata park? I might have prices on this one.

Actually, I only spent a little more than two years in Noumea end 1979/1981 (moving from Vila slightly before the independance, even though it was not related) before being sent to France for university matters. I lived on the street overlooking the Lycee La Perouse, where I had my BAC exam, and Baie de l'Orphelinat.
Those two months after the BAC in Noumea... errrh... that was something... :) ... at least from what the few others who were still conscious in my party told me. :cool2:

cheers
Luko

oh i hear you.... Port Vila is NOT the place i remember 10yrs ago... very sad how the tourist dollar ruins everything

:confused: Oh no!!! Don't tell me that.. Imagine I haven't seen Vila for 30 years or so.
I had a nightmare a few years ago : I dreamt that the streets were lined up with Manhattan style skyscrapers from FungKuei to Bon Marché :shocked2:... I had eaten too much chocolate cake that day. :wink:

next tropical island i find im not telling anyone about it!

Won't tell either... havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock havelock. :D

Hi Luko,

Don't get dpressed over the changes. All is not bad and obviously there are going to be changes with time. On the bright side, we have a modern, well organised medical system with a recompression chamber, good roads and all kinds of shops and restaurants in Noumea. If you want a bit of island life, it is very easy to leave Noumea for the islands or the "brousse" where things have not changed much. I know Vila reasonably well although it has been a few years. I can assure you that it is nothing like Manhattan! I will be looking forward to hearing your impressions after your trip. I sure that you will enjoy yourself.

Annabella

:confused: Oh no!!! Don't tell me that.. Imagine I haven't seen Vila for 30 years or so.
I had a nightmare a few years ago : I dreamt that the streets were lined up with Manhattan style skyscrapers from FungKuei to Bon Marché :shocked2:... I had eaten too much chocolate cake that day. :wink:

im really sorry but it has changed so much in 10yrs its very sad

expats have moved in and ALOT of the locals have moved from the outter islands to Vila and if they are not driving taxis (the mini vans that i LOVE) they are hanging around and theres a HORRIBLE huge white Sebel just up the road from the centre markets. Oh, and everyone talks real estate all the time now (blame the expats again for this)

Bon Marche was still there in the town centre 2yrs ago but there is a newer and much better one up the hill - full of kiwi and aussie foods

and the cars! everywhere... big twin cab 4wd's

Vila is still there if you get off the main drag but i remember being able to move around at night with no worries or cares :depressed:

hopefully you will find bits of the Vila you remember

Hi Luko:

I only passed by the Nouvata Hotel. The pictures look nice but, I don't know if they acurately represent their roomsa actual quality. Also, I don't know if the Nouvata has internet access but the Surf Hotel did provide this service free of charge to its clients. Don't expect the throughput that you have from service providers in Paris.

There are restaurants adjacent to the Nouvata hotel, which makes dining convenient. I'm not sure if there's a an association of restaurants in the area but I did found the menus of half dozen restaurants around Anse Vata and Baie des Citrons to have nearly identical menus, although their names indicated a different genre of cuisine. If your budget allows, do visit a restaurant called Le Roof at the end of the Port Belande pier. While it's expensive, its outrageously good. :wink:

You'll see that the Caillou has changed quite a bit, but I find the exact same changes here in the United States. I do appreciate that the "majority" of the roads outside of Noumea are paved, even in the far north near Poum. It was not the case when I traveled to Kouaoua in 1984. I found nearly all, whether in Noumea or in the Brousse, to be kind and personable.

I'll wager you lunch that you'll be filled with anticipation and excitement as the cockpit doors open and you walk down the stairs. As almitywife stated, you will find familiar bits and pieces of the city you once called home.:D

Claude

Hi Luko:

Ok here are a couple of pictures that should bring back some memories. One is of the Baie de Moselle and the other I do not know. If you recognize its location please let me know (Annabella, perhaps you would know where the second picture was taken).

Moselle.gif
New-Caledonia.gif

Pictures are from a book called Poissons de Nouvelle Caledonie et des Nouvelles Hebrides (Pierre Laboute et Pierre Fourmanoir).

At least from the Baie de Moselle, you should have a good comparison of old and new.

Claude

Back
Top Bottom