Bay Islands has new invasive species

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From your Facebook page:

4478_86057239766_75069439766_1750692_3417016_n.jpg

Reef Gliders have spotted a LionFish , though I got the news from Tylls Dive and posted it here. Thanks Dorte. What this might mean is uncertain as where they have been spotted they havent always decimated the local small fish stocks. But its early days, the main issue is them not having any main predators. But also the question should be should they be removed ?
I would ask the question why should they be let to stay. I don't know of any situation whereby introduction has been a good thing.

We spotted our first one on the Caribbean side of Panama on May 23rd. We have spotted a few more since. These sightings have been reported to the NOAA and REEF databases and one specimen has been captured here and donated to the Smithsonian Tropical Research Station here in Bocas del Toro. If they have made it this far south, you can safely assume that they are in most places in the Caribbean.

Eradication is virtually impossible, as they are commonly found in waters from 1 to 300 feet. They reproduce at an alarming rate (females lay 30,000 eggs at one time several times a year).

The best solution is to develop a fishery for their meat (tastes like a cross between grouper and chicken). Several restaurants in the Bahamas now have them on their menu. In our area grouper and snapper have been severely overfished, so we are hoping that if the lionfish population expands, they will fill that void. This will not eradicate lionfish, but may keep their numbers in check.

Actually, how prevalent are they on the Pacific side? Maybe it sneaked through?

Not too prevalent, but it is indeed possible. My belief is based on an examination of the NOAA invasive species database which has documented a pattern of them being found in more southerly locations each year. The spread seems sharpest going north of Florida (Gulf Stream effect) into the Bahamas and coastal Southeast U.S., but there has been a slow migration to the south.

The best solution is to develop a fishery for their meat (tastes like a cross between grouper and chicken). Several restaurants in the Bahamas now have them on their menu. In our area grouper and snapper have been severely overfished, so we are hoping that if the lionfish population expands, they will fill that void. This will not eradicate lionfish, but may keep their numbers in check.

To keep them in check, you'd need a specific fishery aimed at lionfish, which would require fishing methods that would efficiently target this species. And knowing a bit about their habitat/behaviour, I really can't think of any fishing method that would do this (please enlighten me if someone does know of something :coffee:). And spearfishing, to feed a decent lionfish fishery just wouldn't do it.

I've heard that in the pacific Morays pray on lionfish, but have not verified this myself. If it's true, there might be hope that the atlantic species of Morays would follow suit and do their part controling this species!

In any case, it's here to stay and further research how it affects the reefs will be interesting to say the least!

Cheers!:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom