Shark kills French diver in Marsa Alam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the Japanese eat shark's fin soup, they do it in Chinese restaurants.

Jumping in a mine field.......

I am seeking some clarification. Can anyone anser teh follwoing questions:
1) It is my understanding that a certifiefd diver left a dive boat and entered the water to see a fish. This person was bitten by a shark. Is that correct?

2) If so, was she wearing a mask?

3) I so, was she wearing a SCUBA unit?

4) If so, did she descend or did she stay on the surface?

Look at this blog. It's written in french, but you can translate in english : chercheurs d'eau : le blog
Translated in english with Google translate : Google Traduction

A DECEASED FRENCH IN EGYPT,
AFTER THE ATTACK OF A SHARK

Monday 1st June 2009, a group of tourists on board the "Nautilus" in the Red Sea for a cruise diving St John's marketed by the tour Aquarev, was surprised by the attack of a shark ocean. One member of this group died after the bite of the animal.

Yves Tiquet, President of the diving club parisien affected by this tragedy, explains: "Our colleague, aged about fifty years, was bitten by a shark longimane.
She died following the rupture of the femoral artery, despite the rapid relief who were present. The nature of injuries (bleeding) has not allowed us to save.
We were approached by another group of swimmers whose five boats were moored near the Nautile and had obviously spotted something on the surface.
We were all equipped with flippers, mask and snorkel, it was not a dive bottle. In those circumstances, our friend, who was separated at the head of the group, was bitten. » "

Yves Tiquet present in the water at that time, pointed out that this accident has NOT been caused by the group of swimmers, "We have not harassed or fed animals we have made the once arrived on site. "

For information, the last fatal attack occurred in the Red Sea dates back to 2004 and on average a score of cases in the world. Shark attacks on humans are rare and exceptional 11% of unprovoked attacks were fatal (world statistics over the period 1990-2004).

Sahuquet Raymond, co-leader of Aquarev and author of several books about diving confirms having never faced such a tragedy after 37 years of career

It's the Chinese that eat shark's fin soup.
Not just the chinese, all of Asia do it actually.

I believe the japanese do as well.
Indeed

If the Japanese eat shark's fin soup, they do it in Chinese restaurants.

Thats possible, but then theres a lot of chinese places in all of asia. The main markets for sharkfins are hong kong, taiwan and singapore.

They are caught all over the world though =/

thanks for an informative account samaka- one diver said earlier that they have never seen a shark, Im a novice when it comes to diving but i have seen sharks in every location Im beginning to feel very lucky! Im very aware we are in their enviroment, i wouldnt approach a shark, break its swimming line or corner it, they same way I wouldnt do it to a dog or a lion! as for feeding Im totally against it we dont want them identifying us with dinner! and lets remember theres more to diving than just sharks.... although they are beautiful,
i feel very sorry fot the diver and her family

Not just the chinese, all of Asia do it actually.
I would imagine there are Danes who eat shark's fin soup too. Attributing the demand for shark's fin to the Japanese is just plain wrong.

Wikipedia:

Shark fin soup (or shark's fin soup) is a Chinese delicacy that has been a popular item of Chinese cuisine since the Ming Dynasty[1], usually served at special occasions such as weddings and banquets.[2][3] As a luxury item, the dish is also considered a symbol of wealth and prestige in Chinese culture.[3]

Shark finning is required to make this soup, and the process has become highly controversial in recent years. Consumption of shark fin soup has risen dramatically with the middle class becoming more affluent.[4] Animal rights activists and environmentalists[5] have called the practice brutal[3], and it is also named as a primary contributing factor in the global decline of many shark species.[6]

China's growing economy has resulted in a large increase in demand for shark fins[2]; combined with the importance of this top predator in oceanic ecosystems, has exacerbated problems the practice perpetuates.[7]

Shark fin soup is a popular delicacy in China, and is eaten in Chinese restaurants around the world.

A third of all fins imported to Hong Kong come from Europe.[21] Spain is by far the largest supplier, providing between 2000 and 5000 metric tonnes a year.[22][23] Norway supplies 39 metric tonnes, but Britain, France, Portugal and Italy are also major suppliers.[24]
Hong Kong handles at least 50% and possibly up to 80% of the world trade in shark fin, with the major suppliers being Europe, Taiwan, Indonesia, Singapore, United Arab Emirates, United States, Yemen, India, Japan, and Mexico.[25]

Thats possible, but then theres a lot of chinese places in all of asia.
Yes, there are a lot in NYC, too. And in Chicago. Probably in Denmark, too, but I've never been, so I don't know.

The main markets for sharkfins are hong kong, taiwan and singapore.
Yes, I have lived in Singapore and currently reside in Hong Kong, and I can vouch for the prevalence of shark's fin soup in those cities. As I am sure you know, one thing that Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan have in common is large populations of ethnic Chinese.

They are caught all over the world though =/
Yes, but if Wikipedia is to be believed, more by Europe than Japan.

Last edited:
Just as feeding any other wild animals is potentially dangerous for both the feeding and the fed.

Chris

I am seeking some clarification. Can anyone anser teh follwoing questions:
1) It is my understanding that a certifiefd diver left a dive boat and entered the water to see a fish. This person was bitten by a shark. Is that correct?

2) If so, was she wearing a mask?

3) I so, was she wearing a SCUBA unit?

4) If so, did she descend or did she stay on the surface?

Ok we go through these questions again then

1) Yes she was a certified diver. Yes she left the boat as she entered the water. Yes it was to see fish. Yes she was bitten by a shark.

2) Yes

3) No

4) She was snorkeling between dives to see the Longimanus, made a Duck dive down to the shark and as she resurfaced she was bitten.

.....a.....

Here is the official News Letter from Hurghada Environmental Protection and Conservation Association. HEPCA

HEPCA, and all its members from the Egyptian Red Sea would like to extend their deepest condolences to the family and friends of the French snorkeler killed by an Oceanic-White-Tip Shark (Carcharhinus longimanus) at the Saint Johns reefs this week. Contrary to rumour this was the only incident of recent shark fatality or injury to tourists in the Egyptian Red Sea. Further, HEPCA has not attributed blame of the fatality to the behaviour of the snorkeler who was killed. However HEPCA advises strongly that snorkelling in waters where this species is frequently encountered, such as the Far Islands and Saint Johns, is highly unadvisable.

Oceanic-White-Tip Sharks are large (maximum size 390 cm) predators rarely encountered because their main habitat is deep water well away from land. However, at certain times of the year this species aggregate at isolated islands, rocks and pinnacles in deep water in the Egyptian Red Sea. It is still unclear why they do this. Some scientists have suggested that they move seasonally close to islands for reproduction or feeding. Alternatively, because of their inquisitive nature, they might simply be attracted to boats and divers. Interactions between this species and SCUBA divers at some offshore dive sites in Egyptian waters are common at certain times of the year. Indeed, large numbers of divers travel to Egypt each year for the privilege of viewing this large species of shark. Although potentially dangerous, like most large wild animals, many thousands of divers have been safely introduced to this species without incident of injury. However certain activities can increase the risk of negative interactions with this and other species of shark. Foremost is the activity of divers feeding sharks with scrapes of food in order to attract them closer. Although shark feeding is legal in some well known dive destinations, such as the Caribbean, it is strictly forbidden under law in Egypt because of the very reason tragically witnessed this week.

The recent shark fatality is a great tragedy for all concerned and HEPCA wants to reassure visitors that every measure will be taken to reduce the risk of a similar incident occurring again. HEPCA, in conjunction with local industry,CDWS and government officials, are now formulating a strategy to help limit the risk of such an incident occurring again. In particular dive companies involved in the illegal activity of shark feeding will have their licences revoked. Although the risk of shark fatalities cannot be entirely stopped, the following activities will greatly minimise it:

- No swimming and snorkelling in waters where this and other large species of sharks are known to frequent
- No deliberate feeding of this species or the dumping of waste from boats which may attract this and other potentially dangerous sharks (both activities are illegal in Egyptian waters)
- No SCUBA diving without an experienced dive guide in waters where this species is known to frequent
- In areas such as the Far Islands, where this species is frequently observed, it is advisable that divers enter (and are retrieved from) the water as close as possible to the reef.
- In areas such as the Far Islands, where this species is frequently observed, it is illegal to be involved in any night diving activities.

....a....

replace "are" with "used to be". I venture to guess that most divers have never seen one (I am not counting nurse sharks). outside of the bahamas you are lucky diver if you see a shark in the carribbean. it happens but it is very rare in most places. to get a good look or even a picture is even rarer. and if you are looking for specific kinds of sharks you can basically forget it. who has seen a great white, a tiger, a mako, a blue without baiting?

Although your statement has a lot of merit, I guess I am one of the "lucky ones" in more than one instance.

I have seen blues, a mako up close and personal, a greatwhite from a distance- all offthe coast of Catalina. I have seen numerous white tips here off the coast of Maui and witnesses from shore a feeding frenzy of unidentifiable sharks in the surf of Ka'anapali Beach.

I too also wish people would quit jumping to conclusions without knowing the facts about events that occur.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom