New Year Tutukaka???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much for the great info we cant wait sounds brilliant. We are heading to Turkey later in year but Im much more excited about heading to NZ and we look forward to diving and meeting divers and locals alike.

Give us a shout if you need any further info - quite happy to help out where I can!

I understand that the sea conditions are variable in Oct. Is that true? I'd like to dive Poor Knights if possible and then spend some time doing non-diving things. However, if you all think that Oct is not a great time to dive, I might focus on non-diving activities. Your views would be appreciated. If I do dive, i will have to rent a suit because I'm not going to bring a dry suit with me.

Sea conditions are variable all year around! Differnt boats have different capabilities to get out to the islands in rough seas. I've been out in 3-4m swells, and if you can get to the islands then there's normally some sheltered spot that you can dive. I prefer the less rough days, mind you - I don't have the most robust of stomachs and like the variety of options of where to dive when it's flat calm.

September is probably the coldest month of the year, and whilst it might warm up a degree in October it's still going to be chilly. Expect water temps of around 15 degC, it may be a tad warmer but if you expect the worst and it's warmer.....! Generally, October is still too cold for there to be any algal blooms so vis can be (but isn't always) as good 30m+.

Global Dive in Auckland have rental drysuits, and a local manufacturer (Oceandry) also rent drysuits. Other than that, it's 7mm wetsuits! Depending on your size, I might be able to blag a drysuit from various friends who have more than one.

Do not go anywhere near North/Mid/South Canterbury on a diving holiday! It is not conducive to great diving.. The only diving there is, requires lengthy periods of NW winds (which in Dec is more likely) but all in all if it's great diving you want stay away... :no:

I was thinking of it from the English perspective.... it's not that far to get down from Canterbury to Dunedin and do some diving around there! It's only a four or five hour drive. Considering when I lived in Cambridge, it was a a 9 hour drive for my flat mate to go diving in Cornwall.... it's all relative!! :)

Good to hear OceanBlue are rated highly, I'm doing a liveaboard in August.. :D

You'll have an awesome time, top service!

Just spoke to Janine at OceanBlue and have a spot on the Labour Day trip!

we are booked for dec between christmas and new year liveaboard 4 days on Ocean Blue, cant wait!

I'm booked mid August. I've always headed out on day charters to The Knights but if Oceanblue is nice, and I'm certainly led to believe it is, I won't be doing that in the future I think.. It just seems a much better option, and once you take the cost of accommodation in Tutukaka, food and that extra money that you always just seem to spend into account it is very competitive with day charters.

Hell yeah, To be able to get a pre breakfast dive in will be gold! I'm fair fizzing at the bung at the thought of finally getting some night dives out there.. :D

Back
Top Bottom