Trouble Clearing Snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Etheostoma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
For some reason I cannot clear a snorkel on one blast, it usually takes 3-4 or more extremely forceful blasts. I will blast and then breathe in and it will sound like I am drinking the last bit of soda out of the bottom of a cup with a straw, and there is enough water left each time that I have to block my throat with my tongue and inhale slowly and I still end up breathing in water. This is particularly frustrating because I snorkel and scuba for a living right now and will blast clear constantly throughout the day. Tried switching snorkels and that did not solve the problem. Often I will eventually clear the thing and within 15-20 breaths there's a small amount of water in there again! I am aware of the snorkels that keep water out at all times and may have to end up getting one of these. Displacement clearing is not really an option because I am often in very shallow water. Any suggestions?? :confused:

I've been reccomended this during my SCUBA courses:

Assuming you have a "dry" snorkel (one with a ball/blocker thingy at the top which keeps you from breathing in waterm etc.) you will not be able to clear ALL the water in one blast.

What I've been told to do, and what works for me, is after the first blast just manually close the 'dry' party of the snorkel (excuse my lingo, I'm not snorkel-proficient) which is that ball/blocker I mentioned. You can usually do it with a finger pressing it in from a hole somewhere near it.

With it manually closed, blow out a second time and it will get the rest of that water out.

I had the same problem when I started, annoyed the buggers out of me when we would practice snorkeling strokes.

Reply if it works or if you need more clarification.

No one ever clears all the water in one blast. As long as the snorkel is beathable after the first blast, it really shouldn't be an issue. From your description of the sound, it does sound as if you are not getting quite enough water out. Your blast must be an explosion of air, if it takes you more than about a quarter of a second, you're exhaling too slowly.

Note from the Peanut Gallery: Clearing the snorkel seems very like spitting to me. Without the spit. I think I'm building up pressure behind my tongue and then letting it go. The only time I've had trouble clearing was, years ago, when I used one of those valve on top snorkels and it became sticky. Hideous experience. Saddest thing of all is that I didn't throw it away the first time it happened but had to go through the "Agghhh, I'm going to suffocate!" experience several times before finally waking up.

try this.. simple.. while prone at the surface, roll into the snorkel while exhaling.. so, do a full body roll, maybe a bit slowly, towards the snorkel side, while exhaling.. not blasting.. and there won't be one drop of water in the snorkel. quiet too, so good for spearfishing.

Most freedivers clear 99% of the water in one blast.

Articulation helps. Tuuuu is best!!! Puuuu is pretty good! .... Hooo does not get it done.

I bet you also vent out your nose at the same time, venting the force to the wrong place. That's why most people who have trouble clearing their masks struggle, they blow it out their mouths instead.

Just for the hell of it try it with no mask and hold your nose closed. This is not how to do it, but it might help get you on track.

You did not mention what mask you wear, but if it's a bucket or an aquarium I'd suggest ditching it for a low volume model.

Many divers can clear their masks 3 times on one breath... somehow you are venting your lung pressure elsewhere.

You do take a full breath, right?

Chad

I tried the suggested displacement clearing by rolling into the snorkel today and it worked great. Still have to perfect the timing but I think this will really work. Thanks for the replies.

When you surface from depth with a snorkel in your mouth, look up. This places the snorkel top even with or lower than your mouth. As you break the surface, breathe out slightly. This also is "displacement" clearing. Turn your head down on the surface, and you should have a very clear snorkel.

I learned this more tha 40 years ago and I haven't found a better way since.

garyfotodiver is right, all you have to do is look up at the sky as you break the surface of the water and blow out slightly. Your exhale and gravity will clear your snorkel with very little effort.

That makes a lot of sense too. Ill give it a try tomorrow.The only problem I can see with that method is that my neck may get tired after a while, but maybe not. I could always switch off between the two methods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom