Gunpowder drift dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

handben

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone on scubaboard tried drifting the gunpowder in northern Baltimore county? The water is pretty cold coming out of the bottom of the Prettyboy Reservoir, but it is quite clear. I know that a lot of parts are too shallow to dive; these would be better to run in a canoe. The other problem is all the folks out there trout fishing. I suspect that there would be some risk of snagging on some lost fishing hooks. Still it'd be a nice convenient place to do a dive for folks in Maryland if it was workable. So let's hear from anyone who has tried this spot. Thanks. Ben in Baltimore

That sounds like it is woth exploring, maybe there are some deep hole's or sections deep enough for a drift.

I have dove the Susquehanna in PA. and it is not unsual to have vis that exceeds 60 ft. or more.

Wow, 60 foot vis in the Susquehannah is fantastic. What section of the river do you dive?

In PA. at Lock Haven and the Jay street bridge. Its been a couple of years since I dove that area but I am sure it is still good if your in the area.

I have a couple of more spots I will add later but I need to dig out my old log book.

I "dove" the Gunpowder a few years ago between the I-95 Overpass and US 40. It's only about 2-6 feet deep for the most part with lots of spots 1-2 feet deep. "We were looking for evidence in a case that was allegedly dumped in the area" It was more of a drift snorkel than a dive.

Back
Top Bottom